Blog Azeroth

A forum for World of Warcraft Bloggers
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Sept 27 to Oct 3 2010 : Games as Art - Could it work in WoW?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:14 am 

Server: Burning Steppes-EU
I recently put up a post on the blog about enjoying some other games whilst I was on a bit of WoW downtime and I waxed lyrical about an old game, Vampire - Bloodlines, which I'd rediscovered and was thoroughly enjoying. The reason I like this game so much is that it really tried to take the whole RPG thing to a new level - in terms of questing and choices, think about the same level of moral dilemas and choices as the Fallout series of games (all of them but it has most in common with Fallout 3); for gameplay, think more in the style of the original Deus Ex although Fallout 3 again is a good comparison.

It got me thinking about how, over the past 10-12 years, games have been advancing and being accepted more and more as a legitimate artform and story telling device, in the same way a movie or a book is. This has mostly been led by RPGs, although through the years we've seen other games start to take on the idea of moral dilemas and interactive storytelling - look at Heavy Rain as an example. In fact, one of the few genres where it has kind of been lacking (or taken longer to catch up) has been in the MMORPG genre.

So I started thinking, could an MMORPG start incorporating some of the feature we take for granted in singleplayer RPGs? Rather than the "get quest, kill x number of things, hand in quest" formula, could we start seeing multiple ways to complete a quest? Could there be moral choices to be made, with an outcome that will affect both you as a player (emotional involvement) and your character (rewards/penalties). Larisa at The Pigtail Inn has already alluded to a similar idea.

Ithink I'll pop this up as a discussion topic on my site with a full post later, but I'd love to see what other people in the blogosphere think of it. Could it be done? If so, how would you do it? What would you like to see? Would it take away from what WoW essentially is?

(Apologies for the long post)

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Sept 27 to Oct 3 2010 : Games as Art - Could it work in WoW?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:23 am 

Server: Moonrunner-US
Thanks!

http://www.jadedalt.com/2010/09/27/ques ... d-choices/

WWW Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:08 am 

Finally got it finished :P

Have a read of it here.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:09 pm 

Server: Darkspear
I'm in! I enjoyed this one a LOT, although toward the end I started getting very hungry so I had to cut it short :P

http://pocketheals.blogspot.com/2010/09 ... oices.html

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:32 am 

Natalie

Loved the post and really like the ideas about reputation/profession combinations. Exalted in Stormwind? Have a Stormwind Pork Chop with cosmetic changes!

There are little things in game that do exist, like Mages automatically starting as Friendly with Dalaran but they could take it that one step further. One of the things I really miss from Vanilla WoW are the class specific questlines. Doing the quests in Azshara for the Polymorph - Pig spell or earning your level 30 (or was it 40?) weapon as a warrior are moments that stick with me as they were unique to me and as long as they're solo-able they're a nice aside from group quests and dungeon running. Maybe I've missed them in TBC (entirely possible, I didn't spend much time in Outland) or WOTLK. Simple things that add to the immersion and choices of how your character's story develops.

It was an in depth topic this time hehe, but it as long as people enjoyed writing about it (and reading it ofc)

/Runz

PS Sorry for posting this here but couldn't seem to leave a comment on your blog page. (Sorry for leave a mess in the forums Windsoar :D )