Blog Azeroth

A forum for World of Warcraft Bloggers
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:15 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: New to wow blogging.. WTB Ideas PST
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 3:40 pm 

Server: Ravencrest
As the title suggests.. I'm new to blogging, so new as a matter of fact that I do not have a site setup yet. My reasoning for this new venture is first and foremost money. As crappy as that sounds of me times are tough.. and a little supplemental income is my main focus. And yet, WoW is a passion. I've been playing for 4 years now, started out on a NELF Hunter and have slowly progressed to a Fury Warrior as a main. I'm a warrior through and through, which incidentally, would be my topic. Fury Warrior-ing at it's finest ;p

Now my first reason listed above I know might sound greedy to some, but i'm just being honest here. I have worked in the IT industry now for the past decade, I am married and my wife and I have 3 kids. Being the only source of income makes it hard.. damn hard sometimes. So a little extra from typing about a passion seems like Win to me.

And secondly.. well it's a passion so that should be self-explanatory.

Anyway after a bit of Googling yesterday I've figured that there's not too many Fury Warrior blogs out there, unless you wanna count ElitistJerks, but I wouldn't call them a blog so much as an all-out super information source.

Anyway so here I am.. I think I'm looking for opinions at this stage, I've been reading through the posts here trying to absorb as much info as I can!

But thanks guys!

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: New to wow blogging.. WTB Ideas PST
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:31 am 

Server: Defias Brotherhood
I'll be honest, you are not going to get rich by blogging - at least not on topics of WoW, I believe. Some of us does run adds, but they are just there "for the heck of it", and eventually we earn enough money to cover the hosting and domain costs for a month. I talked to a blogger back when he was active, and he claimed that he - though his pretty succesful blog, I admit - could earn 100-300$ each month. Whether or not it is true, I cannot say. His blog was quite well visited I believe, but that would still be a lot of clicks each and every month.

I suppose its not unrealistic to reach these numbers, but you are not going to reach them anytime soon, unless you begin all sorts of nasty stuff to get visitors and clicks. And if you do it the normal way, its gonna take a long time of writing a lot of posts.

Im saying this, so you know what you are getting into. I dont think any of us here are driving around in a BWM because of our blogs :P

If you want to blog for the sake of blogging, go ahead. A domain doesn't cost very much, and it is a nice outlet of your creative ideas. If you feel that you have a blogger in you, go for it. But I would not count on making any sort of money for quite a while. I would almost say that you could probably make more money faster by sitting on a bench begging for handouts :P

WWW Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 12:29 pm 

Server: Illidan
If money is your primary goal, going it alone and starting up a blog from scratch probably will not accomplish that. It takes a lot of time and hard work to build up not only your own reputation but the reputation of a new site within the community to get to a point where you'll actually start making money. That sort of thing becomes a full-time job. What you'd be better off doing is building up a portfolio of work that would demonstrate your skill and knowledge, and then trying to get work on one of the larger sites that pay their contributors.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:33 pm 

Server: Silvermoon
That's not to say you can't make money from writing though. I'm a self employed freelance writer. I write SEO content for websites that want more traffic and one of the methods of doing this is search engine optimised articles, articles for directory submission, forum posting, blog commenting etc etc. This is how I make my full time living, so it's not impossible if you know where to look and what to do :) I had a dream... to be a lazy bum, do little to no work a day and do it all within easy clicking distance of WoW and my favourite cup of coffee.

I have now accomplished that dream through freelance writing and plenty of spellchecking.

Good luck to you mate. :)