Blog Azeroth

A forum for World of Warcraft Bloggers
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:59 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 19th October 2009: Gearing For a Role You Cannot Yet Perform
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:12 pm 

Server: Black Dragonflight
Which is to say, Tanking or Healing as the two primary culprits here. Not that I condone waltzing into a heroic as a freshly dinged 80 to 'DPS' without having put any effort in either, but you can do this and get through a run. To a lesser degree you can with healing as well, if the tank is suitably geared. Most difficult of all, tanking. Even if the healer is absolutely wonderful and able to keep you alive, good luck then in keeping agro off everyone else.

I haven't yet finished my take on the topic, but will be sure to link through to it when I have. Feel free to take the idea any way you wish, be it a simple list of gear you can buy cheaply or through to methods of obtaining gear while being something else and their associated ethics (or lack thereof).

Would be very curious to see what others come up with. In this day and age in WoW, it's probably never been easier to do, but yet, it's still not precisely easy, and I see post after post asking how it's done. So have at it! :)

WWW Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: 19th October 2009: Gearing For a Role You Cannot Yet Perform
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:22 pm 

Server: Malfurion
I will have a post on this as well, because I am currently trying to gear my DK for tanking and running him as DPS. Causes much group friction when I'm not with friends and I want to roll on tank gear... I'll post my take closer to the time.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:21 pm 

Server: Moon Guard
I actually did this post back in June.

http://druidmain.blogspot.com/2009/06/b ... -sets.html

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:56 pm 

Nice write-up, Ice.

This one has been in my drafts for a lot longer than I really intended. Because when you get right down to it, it can be boiled down to:

1) If you want to roll need on an item that is for a role you're not currently occupying, ASK FIRST and respect the answer,
and,
2) Emblems, Emblems, Emblems.
3) Emblems. Seriously.

Funny thing is, I KNOW I had more to say on the topic when I first proposed it. I'm terrible, absolutely terrible, with having grand ideas for posts, even having a few specific ideas or points ready to go..

..While driving, or at work, University, or otherwise occupied.. And not taking note of them.

So I then come back to do the post in question, and I'm awl, 'Huh.. I had something to say about this? Really?'.

Which is more or less where I am on this topic presently. *sheepish*

I'll need to try revisit it later today if I get a chance, see if can rejog my memory on what else I wanted to add to the matter.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:18 pm 

http://tankntree.com/2009/gearing-for-a ... t-perform/

Managed to get a few things in there other than emblems! ;)

Although Sari made a comment that made me realise had still neglected two avenues.
1) There are Quests that offer nice blues that last a good while.
2) PvP gear while not to be taken wholehog for PvE purposes, has a good few pieces, easily attainable, that can upgrade a green or even a blue or low ilvl epic until you're able to get a better PvE drop.

I also took it from the perspective of not having access to (or the desire to) rely on guild to simply carry you through things to get you up to speed.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:40 pm 

My somewhat negative take on this is not to -
http://orcspirits.blogspot.com/2009/10/ ... -tank.html

You can gear up pretty well with quest blues, rep items and some Bind on Equip crafted or auction house gear - TankSpot has great guides for all tanking classes. But any PUG you join will want you to be overgeared for the role before you take it on.

If I do ever get back to levelling a tank I'll do my utmost to ensure my first half-dozen runs of even normal level 80 instances are with guild groups. Not because I want to be carried, but because I want to make my mistakes in a non-judgemental atmosphere.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:07 pm 

Server: The Venture Co. eu
Hi folks,

I've thrown together a quick post on my take of it during my lunch break, not had chance to read everyones thoughts yet, apart from the fact that i'm behind a firewall that restricts quite a lot.

My first post on an Azeroth topic so i'm hoping you enjoy it but either way leave me a comment or two to tell me if you think it's crap or valid.

http://www.raidleader.co.uk/blog-azerot ... other-role

Cheers

Cyb.

Profile Send private message