Blog Azeroth

A forum for World of Warcraft Bloggers
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:47 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Anonymous bloggers
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:20 pm 

Hi guys, I'm new here and I just posted my blog details in the Introductions section but I have a question for you.

Do you think blogging anonymously is going to affect the way a blog is seen by the readers?
I'm asking because, at least for the time being, I don't want to disclose information on my character/server.

Thanks
Az.

WWW Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:13 pm 

Server: Illidan (US)
There is another blogger who said they felt the same way. But as mean as it sounds, I have no idea who it was without going out and looking for the post. I attach people to their blogs and I have no clue who they are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:14 am 

I personally think that if you're writing the blog, you should be accountable for what you say.

I know just as well as anyone that guild drama can be caused at the drop of a pin, but it's just the way that life goes. You're you, you're the person writing the blog, and if you can't be accountable to be yourself, how can your writing remain credible?

Just my two cents.

Contact Info: Here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:18 am 

Server: Cenarius/Nagrand
I am just wondering why you don't want people to know what server you are on or your character name. At the end of the day it doesn't really mean anything if you put it up or not - I think one person from my server has come across my blog ever, and no one has ever recognised me on Cenarius, so people bugging you all the time really isn't an issue (unless perhaps you are a really 'famous' blogger?). If you do plan to blog alot about drama and things I can understand I suppose, but I figure if you want to be all gossipy you may as well put your name on it amd take some ownership for spraying drama all over the net ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:50 pm 

Server: Scarlet Crusade (US)
I understand that you may wish to remain "anonymous" for the sake of guildmates that might happen upon your blog, but I recommend giving your authorship some form of name, even if it's completely unrelated to your character name. Having a name to attach to your blog and posts will make your readers feel like they know you better than if you remain "the masked man."

Best of luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:27 pm 

Server: Scarshield Legion (EU)
Like Phaelia said, any name will do. THe name doesn't need to be your character's name. Even the masked guy in "V for Vendetta" had a name that he went by, i.e. "V".

Good luck with that blog.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:28 pm 

2ndnin.

Though I have revealed my char and server name in comments / posts I don't make a thing of it. My posts are from me, the 2nd nin. I do have accountability for my comments, I don't hide my blog, but I also tend to keep it neutral and focused on me / my thoughts rather than others.

Post subject: Re: Anonymous bloggers
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:41 am 

I don't see anything wrong with blogging anonymously. I'm one who's doing this. I don't reveal my characters nor where I play publicly. I know there's no big deal because no one knows your real identity behind your characters anyway. It's my choice and if people chose not to read my blog because of that, let it be.

I truely believe if people like your blog, they will read it regardless of knowing who you really are.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:23 am 

Server: Illidan (US)
Prez wrote:
I don't see anything wrong with blogging anonymously. I'm one who's doing this. I don't reveal my characters nor where I play publicly. I know there's no big deal because no one knows your real identity behind your characters anyway. It's my choice and if people chose not to read my blog because of that, let it be.

I truely believe if people like your blog, they will read it regardless of knowing who you really are.

Personally this depends on your content. If you are offering raiding advice or PvP advice or some such, being able to show that you have credible knowledge of the topic at hand is/can be an important factor in how people perceive your blog. I can easily write an article talking about how BM is the 2v2 Arena spec of choice and provide lots of theorycraft to back it up but in reality MM is king and anyone with half a brain knows it. Putting a name out there saying "Hey, I have a 2300 rating so I know what I am talking about" goes a long way. The same goes for specific encounter discussions, etc.

And at the same time, a blog focused on more light-hearted aspects (if that is the term I am looking for) may not call for "credibility" per say.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:08 pm 

Server: Silver Hand (US) / The Venture Co. (US)
Back when I first started blogging-- a long long time ago-- I stayed anonymous for a while. I mean, I have always been "Pike", but I wasn't also "Tawyn of Silver Hand" for a little while. The reason was because when I started my blog my highest level character was like... level 45. And I was afraid that "being a lowbie" would turn people away.

I soon discovered to the contrary that the people I wanted reading don't care about my level (if anything, they found it interesting), so I began posting up my Armory links and since then I always have. There are people who have been reading my blog since I was level 45 and, I think, remain some of my biggest fans. This really is a great community like that.

I have also discovered that my Armory links are some of my most clicked links on my blog =P So... it is something people are interested in! I don't see any of the "Armory judging" on blogs that you might see on say, the WoW forums, if anything it does lend you some credibility as Daniel was saying. And it's good for say, newer hunters who want to look at my Armory and get a feel for what kind of gear they need. (I know newer hunters do this because I have received comments and e-mails to this effect.)

Now am I gonna judge you negatively cause you don't have your Armory posted? Well of course not, but if I start to really like your blog, how am I gonna send you in-game fanmail? =P Heehee. (Seriously, don't underestimate the number of people who can and will send you fanmails and whispers, I have lost count of the ones I've got and I've cherished them all <3)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:44 am 

Server: Illidan
As they say, "Content is King". If the content you intend to post requires some sort of credibility check as Behemoth mentioned, then hiding behind an "Anonymous" tag will not help you. There will always be those who will ask, "And who the heck are you to say [such-and-such]?" By posting Anonymously, you're unable to reply, "I'm [So-and-so], and this is how I know what I've said is true/has merit!" Being able to speak from a position of authority and experience and being able to prove definitively that you do have the experience you claim to have makes your statements more credible and will build for you a reputation for being a trustworthy and knowledgeable source of information.

However, if you're posting content that doesn't take an authoritative stance on specific game-play issues, guides or tricks, then credibility isn't really an issue and therefore posting anonymously would be perfectly feasible.

In the three years I've been blogging, I have never made it a secret who my character is or where I come from. (Nor have I flaunted it.) I've rarely had people contact me in-game (just the occasional /wave or quick question), and despite the fact that I've addressed some guild issues/drama briefly in the past, I've never found my words come back to haunt me because I've addressed the issues honestly and responsibly. My guilds have seen solid recruits come from my blog, actually, and when issues do arise that I've talked about, my blog has become a "safe" place for folks to air their own thoughts without fear of retribution, without actually hurting or taking over the content I post, and many of my guildmates have been thankful for the outside perspective commenters on my blog provide.

To put it bluntly, there's no reason not to put some name to your work, unless you feel embarrassed/afraid to do so: either you're afraid that what you say will come back to haunt you later, or you're afraid that what you say will reflect poorly on those you associate with. In either case, just being more responsible and careful about what you say and how you say it will solve any issue you may have. Being held accountable, in some form or another, for the things we say teaches us all to be more thoughtful and respectful. That's not a bad thing.

Just my 2 copper's worth; make of it what you will.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:04 pm 

There's no point of anonymous blogging because eventually no matter how cautious you are if you succeed at making a compelling site then someone is going to figure out who you are.

It's just inevitable.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:45 am 

I actually started out trying to blog anonymously, oddly that choice limited me in some respects with the things I could write about without giving it away. Four months into it I ended up not only coming out with character links and such but actually moving to a new blog in the process. benameless.wordpress.com somehow no linger "worked" for a blogger with a name.

Oddly I just realised that I am still lested here as "Nameless" I guess I'll have to reregister :roll:

You don't have to give a characters name or server, and I certainly would not give out my RL name. I would reccomend having at least something for folks to call you, even if you end up as "Anonamoose" with a moose head avatar =)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:51 am 

Server: bronzebeard
I think everyone has to determine their own comfort level for sharing personal information on the Internet. If you are looking for a way to blog without everything being public, you might want to consider using a content platform such as livejournal where you can screen your posts for a select audience.

If you have crazy ex's/guildies/whatever, just don't use the name they would most associate with you. Chances are they won't eStalk you.
:)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:57 pm 

Snakedriver wrote:
I think everyone has to determine their own comfort level for sharing personal information on the Internet. If you are looking for a way to blog without everything being public, you might want to consider using a content platform such as livejournal where you can screen your posts for a select audience.

If you have crazy ex's/guildies/whatever, just don't use the name they would most associate with you. Chances are they won't eStalk you.
:)

Hehe. I think you are absolutely right. Information on the internet (or usenet in my days) stays with you forever! I still find my own posting in my college days turn up from time to time in google searches. That is like almost 20 years ago!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:15 pm 

Server: an Oceanic one
If you want to 'diarize' the contents of your experience in WoW in such a way that you are writing a journal, then I don't see anything wrong with doing it anonymously. Your thoughts, feelings and responses to any situation - including social intereaction within an online community - are valid and as such the people you know may well be better off not knowing what you 'really' think in any given moment - especially if you are blogging about for 'the world' to read.

Credibility could certainly be in doubt if you are advertising yourself as a brilliant raider imparting your wisdom to those of us less knowledgeable because we can't check your credentials (sp?) - although if you are good and people take your advise the results will show for themselves, but there can still remain doubt about whether or not you are the actual 'source' of your writing. or if you are pulling it from someone else.

Ultimately you will have people who disapprove and those who don't care. If they read your blog anyway - does it matter?

Profile Send private message