Blog Azeroth

A forum for World of Warcraft Bloggers
It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:35 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Entrecard
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:37 am 

I'm a really big fan of entrecard, I like being able to easily let other blogs advertise themselves on my blog without a whole lot of effort. It's nice to be able to let others get their name out like that, and I live using it for the same reason (advertising on BRK has gotten me 50 clicks alone in one day!).

But I've recently changed my policy on accepting ads. To me, it's changed from how many Entrecard points I can pull in, to only advertising game blogs. Does that seem too stingy? While I like letting blogs of any kind get their names out, I feel I should be giving equal opportunities to all blogs (so long as they're not advertising).

Contact Info: Here

WWW Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Entrecard
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:19 pm 

Quote:
But I've recently changed my policy on accepting ads. To me, it's changed from how many Entrecard points I can pull in, to only advertising game blogs. Does that seem too stingy? While I like letting blogs of any kind get their names out, I feel I should be giving equal opportunities to all blogs (so long as they're not advertising).

Nah man, that's a fair thing to do.

Don't forget to picture it from the perspective of your readers. Do you think Larry the Warrior out there's going to care about knitting blogs? No, he's probably not. While yes it IS nice to let ALL blogs get equal opportunity exposure, they're just wasting their credits anyway because your audience just isn't going to care about them and consequently isn't going to click on them.

By localizing and targeting your blog ads, you are doing your audience a service and a favor by automatically weeding out blog ads that they aren't going to have any interest in reading about anyway.

Don't forget, Entrecard isn't just a way for blogs to gain exposure. If you think about it, since their ad is on your blog, you are vouching for that blog and putting your name on the line by saying "Hey, this blog is cool enough to show up on my Entrecard, go check it out!"

Hope that helps =).

WoW Priest and Officer Blogger

Find me on GMail: matttz@gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:35 pm 

It does! ^^

Now I just have to wait for the last two travel blogs in my ad queue to cycle out, and I can feel like a new man.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:40 pm 

Server: Kul Tiras (US)
I agree with Matt. While I generally only run WoW-related Entrecard ads, I just approved one from a DnD blog--something I think is pretty relevant to a lot of my readers.

I've also allowed occasional non-WoW blogs, but some that are blog-related. And one, recently, simply because I liked the guy's Entrecard avatar!

As for the two in your queue, I think you can still reject those and refund the credits: Take a look at the options in your lineup.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:31 pm 

Yeah, I know that I can but I'd feel kind of bad canceling them. I know that there's no adverse effect, and it's really not too terrible for them -- but I feel that since I've accepted it I have to honor it.

Yeah, I mostly accept anything gaming related. I know that (most) people that play WoW don't only play WoW, so as long as it's gaming it's good to go.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:24 am 

Server: Illidan
Generally speaking, I'll accept ads from any gaming blog, not just WoW blogs. Personally, while WoW is a big part of my hobby repertoire, it's not the only thing I'm into as far as gaming goes, so I like seeing blogs about other games as well, especially if it's a game I haven't tried yet but have thought about (like Warhammer, for example), and I figure my readers are probably similar to me in that respect. (Not to mention, I'm part of a general gaming blog network also.)

This has been my policy since I started using EntreCard, and is unlikely to ever change. While it would be nice to be able to give "link love" to all blogs, I just don't see the point in advertising things I know there's a very good chance my readers wouldn't have any interest in. It wastes the advertiser's credits, and it takes real estate away from advertisements my readers would actually click on. In short, it's just not practical to do otherwise.