Blog Azeroth

A forum for World of Warcraft Bloggers
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:54 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: First Blog Post
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:48 pm 

Hello all.

So I have been inspired to blog about something I like, wow.
At the moment I already have a domain and hosting, what is left is the design portion aka template or look of the site.
Of course content is king and I would like to start of on the right foot.

What do you recommend for the first post?

Spill the beans about me and the blog or spread it out through various post? Start with a topic instead?
Any tips would be great.

Thanks

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:07 pm 

Server: Illidan (US)
Introduce yourself, why you started a blog, what you like about or what you do in WoW, etc.

WWW Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:45 pm 

Aye, do basically that.

Here's mine, if you want to get some ideas. :D
http://www.rogueseyeview.com/2008/05/rogues-eye-view.html

Contact Info: Here

Last edited by Skaarjonic on Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:23 pm 

I couldn't remember what my first post was about ... and in scanning back through the posts ... I never told anything about myself.

Hm ... ponders ...

Either way, I started my blog as a response to frustration that I was feeling at that point in time ... There were other toons in the mix but my hunter was my main focus at the time. Here is my first post:

http://www.raidhunter.com/2008/04/frust ... -game.html

I wouldn't recommend starting this way ... I would instaed suggest starting as others have with who you are and why you are writing a blog in the first place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:42 pm 

Thanks for the comments so far.

I enjoyed clicking through your blogs btw.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:55 pm 

I would recommend introducing yourself also, but only the basics; no-one wants to know how many freckles you have on your right toe. Just try to not make it too "Hi my name is [Blank] and I come from [Blank]" because it does get mundane. Keep it interesting and you'll do fine! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:33 am 

Heh, I did the exact inverse. I don't think I've ever written any kind of an introduction post about me. I wrote one, thought better of it, and tweaked it into an About page instead. At that point I opted to write stuff in general that you'd find in blog posts.

I kind of just... snuck in there, really. Personally, I'd write like a really kickass sort of post. A post that would draw readers in. Would an introductory post do it? Maybe it would to some but I doubt it would to others. I've read a lot of new blogs that just start. They start off with the usual "This is who I am, this is what class I am, this is what I intend to write about."

What if you reversed that order?

What it you wrote about what you intended to write first and then introduced yourself later after post 10? Highlight and showcase your ability to write first.

Have you heard of the "Elevator pitch" in Marketing? Basically, let's say for instance that you had to give a big presentation to your Exec about a new product or service idea. Unfortunately, a big emergency happens while you're on the 20th floor and the CEO HAS to leave right away. On the way out, the Exec bites the bullet and offers you a chance. The elevator ride down is 90 seconds and you have to make a really good first impression in the first 90 seconds or else that Exec will forget about you, your name, and what it was you were trying to promote.

So let's apply it to blogging. A new reader navigates to your site. Most people tend to navigate away after 30 seconds. Essentially you've got half a minute to impress them, keep their attention, and if possible, give them a reason to subscribe to your blog. All within 30 seconds. If you can write a killer intro post that can pull that off, big time props to you. I have not found an intro post yet that made me want to subscribed or come back to that blog on the spot. It'd usually come across me later to head back there and check it out if I come across a trackback or a link from another site.

Then I'll think to myself "Oh yeah, this guy!"

And that's an approach I frequently use when I'm blogging. Is it right for everyone? Well no, it's a matter of style, right? By all means, consider his as an alternative and take it for what you will. Good luck!

WoW Priest and Officer Blogger

Find me on GMail: matttz@gmail.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:31 am 

The best thing to do with your first blog post is to not think about it. Just post. The sooner you start posting, the better. Too many bloggers put their entire site on hold for the perfect design, the perfect post and before you know it a month or two has past and they've got nothing to show for it.

Make mistakes. Write Crappy. Blog.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:16 pm 

Veneretio wrote:
The best thing to do with your first blog post is to not think about it. Just post. The sooner you start posting, the better. Too many bloggers put their entire site on hold for the perfect design, the perfect post and before you know it a month or two has past and they've got nothing to show for it.

Make mistakes. Write Crappy. Blog.

This is true along with the 30sec attention span.

Heheh I was saving up to purchase photoshop in 1.2 months (academic version of course) and design my site first. [I'm a designer so I need it regardless]

But I might just go ahead and start something off with a basic layout at least. ^_^

Post subject: Re: First Blog Post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:27 pm 

Server: Silver Hand (US) / The Venture Co. (US)
My first post was a short intro; something along the lines of "Hi, I'm Pike, I'm new to WoW (well I was, at the time!) and I am obsessed with hunters. My blog is about [stuff]".

I jumped into the actual content the very next day though!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:01 pm 

Server: Scarlet Crusade (US)
Why not combine both ideas into one SUPER-IDEA?

Write two posts: an introduction post (published first) and a kickass content post (published second). Publish one right after the other and your kickass post will sit right on top of your introduction post.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:55 pm 

Server: Kul Tiras (US)
It's your first post: I'm not going to be looking for more, because there won't be more. Yet.

So give me a reason to come back.

Matt's idea of an "About" page is a good one: I have one, as do many bloggers. I'd suggest putting that up with a prominent link (the header menu is usually a good place, and it is pretty simple to do with most WordPress blogs).

So you've got an About page, where I can learn about you. Great.

NOW...write the article that will make me want to add you to my feed-reader. Just keep in mind you won't get Matticus, or BRK numbers with your first post, or first 100 posts.

Just keep writing. And always, ALWAYS have fun doing it!