Blog Azeroth

A forum for World of Warcraft Bloggers
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:50 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: New Template Needed--Help, Please?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:58 pm 

Server: Kul Tiras (US)
I strongly suspect my WP template (Munch 1.0) will get somewhat flaky when WordPress 2.5 goes live next week (ETA currently 3/17).

While I've tweaked the template a bit since I started using it, there are still a lot of things I would like to improve. However, I am not a coder, so trial & error modifying usually means a lot more errors and a real trial for yours truly.

I've glanced at the 2.5-ready templates, and while I could use one of those in a pinch, they're fairly blah, in my opinion.

So I come here, hat in hand, to ask for some assistance. I'm looking for the following in a template, and while I don't expect that I can find all things in one template, at least I have a shopping list. :)

> 3-column, floating width (sidebars on the right)
> Widget-ready
> Accepts a top banner
> WoW Themed
> light background
> block quotes that use an indented format (I really don't like the big quote mark to indicate a block quote)
> ordered lists must use bullets

I've seen a couple very nice WoW themes; is it bad form to be a copy cat if I find one I really like?

And finally, if anyone would like to help code something, I'd be more than happy to work with you, to our mutual advantage. PM or e-mail me if you're interested.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions!

WWW Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:54 pm 

Server: Whisperwind
It's not necessarily WoW-themed, but have you looked at the Mandigo WP theme? I'm using it on my blog, and I believe BBB uses it as well. To make it a WoW theme, you could tweak it with background images and such.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:38 pm 

i'm looking into using the mandigo theme for my main (non-wow) blog, so here's a stupid question for ya... what size does the header need to be for the 1024 banner, and what do I need to tweak to change it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:54 pm 

I think I used Mandigo for the first couple days I self-hosted; however, I really prefer a 3-column layout. And while I want a lighter background, I would prefer it not be white.

The interesting thing will be whether current themes will be updated when WP 2.5 rolls out next week. I know this is a major point upgrade to the software; I just hope it doesn't break *everything*.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:09 pm 

Server: Whisperwind
Mandigo can use three columns. I have mine set up for two, but it has a lot of built-in customization including three column layouts. Take a look.

http://www.onehertz.com/portfolio/wordpress/mandigo/

Also, if it's only a matter of colors, all of that stuff can be customized fairly easily.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:27 pm 

Thanks, Pummra. :) I really do like the floating-width, but if I get stuck, Mandigo definitely has a lot to offer.

I know there are some very WoW-centric themes out there, which aren't too "over the top" and that's the kind of look I'd like to try to incorporate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:43 am 

Transforming a single sidebar template into a 2 sidebar template isn't too complicated.

Open functions.php in your template, replace the following code:
Code:
<?php
if ( function_exists('register_sidebar') )
    register_sidebar();
?>

with
Code:
<?php
if ( function_exists('register_sidebars') )
    register_sidebars(2);
?>

Now in your existing sidebar locate this piece of code:
Code:
<?php if ( !function_exists('dynamic_sidebar') || !dynamic_sidebar() ) : ?>

replace it with
Code:
<?php if ( function_exists('dynamic_sidebar')  && dynamic_sidebar(1) ) : else : ?>

then create a file for your second sidebar (you can start copying the existing one) and make sure it has

Code:
<?php if ( function_exists('dynamic_sidebar')  && dynamic_sidebar(2) ) : else : ?>

And you're almost done.

Last but not least, you need to call the second sidebar in all tempate files where you want it to appear: at the very least index.php, and probably single.php, archive.php, search.php and page.php

Locate this piece of code:
Code:
<?php include(TEMPLATEPATH."/sidebar.php");?>

(or whatever the name of the original sidebar file was) and copy + change it to call up your second sidebar. The rest is html + CSS for positionning.
note that you're not limited to 2 sidebars, if you want more, just put the adequate number in functions.php register_sidebars(XXX) then make sure each of your sidebar file calls each number in sequence. At one point I considered creating a third "sidebar" at the bottom for my template before rejecting the notion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:13 pm 

Quote:
is it bad form to be a copy cat if I find one I really like?

I would stay away from copying anything that doesn't have a license on it. And if it does have a license then they thought about it and decided what was okay and not okay. So if it's an open license and you want to copy it, I would say it's not bad form. It's just smart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:50 pm 

Oh of course; I only use licensed software, add-ons, plug-ins, themes, you name it.

Not only that, if necessary, I pay for it. :)