Blog Azeroth

A forum for World of Warcraft Bloggers
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:08 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Replying to comments help
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:10 pm 

Server: Runetotem (US)
Something I've always wondered was the etiquette for replying to comments left on your blog.

It often feels kinda like dating... You know, "Don't comment too soon, otherwise you seem too needy." Or it's like an implied 4th wall I'm not supposed to break: "Just be the writer and leave the schmoozing to your readers." Personally, I've always been wary about replying to comments because I feel like it paints me as being desperate or like I'm constantly checking my stats to see who's viewed what, just to see if someone leaves a comment. And, in the same vein, how do you reply to comments that don't necessarily inspire further conversation? Is it perfectly alright to say something like, "That's a really good point! Thanks for bringing it up!"?

WWW Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Replying to comments help
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:50 pm 

Server: Nagrand - Oceanic
It depends on what kind of relationship you want with your commenters. If you aren't interested in participating in discussion outside of your original post or don't want to reply to comments that don't invite discussion, don't replyl! I generally try to respond to everyone, even if it's just with a catch-all "thank you!" As far as timing goes, to avoid the stress you are describing, I reply to all comments on the previous post right before I make the next post, and then get any individual ones after that as they arrive. In all seriousness, I don't think you should stress about the timing of your comments and how it makes you look. It's your show! Go nuts!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:47 pm 

Server: Emerald Dream (EU)
I ALWAYS reply to comments on my blog. Maybe that's a reflection that I don't receive enough comments for it to become a 'chore'. I appreciate any and every comment, no matter how big/small, or who it is from. So if somebody has spent the time to leave me a message, I will make sure to let them know that they're time is valuable :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:57 pm 

Server: Thrall, Earthen Ring
I'm the first one to admit that I'm really bad at replying to comments. Right now it seems that Jamin is the only one who ever comments on my posts, and at times I've used Twitter to reply to them rather than on the post.

I do want to get better at it, and the best way is to just be diligent about it. Every time there's a comment, reply to it - even if it's just a "thanks for the comment, hope you enjoy the site!"

That's my plan, at least. We'll see if I can stick to it. :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:17 am 

Server: Kazzak
I try to reply to every comment I get, and if they have a blog I visit them, read and comment on their posts.
But sometimes I forget or reply long time after..

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:28 am 

Server: Cenarius/Nagrand
I find that readers really enjoy the interaction that comes with you replying to their comments. It's a great way to build discussion, get readers coming, and get people coming back. It also encourages people to look through your older content, instead of just looking for new content, and helps build click throughs from an RSS reader.

As for timing, it can actually be really fun if you manage to reply while the person is still at your blog. Then you can get a huge conversation going!

Of course, if you get to the point where you have hundreds of comments on each post, you might not want to reply to them all :-)

Snarks and Ladders

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:38 am 

Server: Ner'zhul
When you're first starting out and you WANT more comments, the more you answer comments and the sooner you answer comments, the better. No one is going to think you're needy or anything like that. They'll just be happy that you acknowledged the effort they put into responding to your post.

If you don't care about reader interactions, then there's no point in answering, but if you do want to foster some liveliness on your blog, then answer, answer, answer.

And speaking as a blog reader, I'll actually refrain from commenting on blogs of people who never answer. They don't like talking to a wall? Neither do I.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:09 am 

Server: Anvilmar
I always reply within a few hours. When someone comments my phone gives a little "ta da!" and if I'm not in the middle of something I answer right away, if I am I answer back as soon as I can. I want to have a relationship and conversations with me readers so I answer back right away. It really is up to you, blogging is personal, some people use it to be social and some use it as a sounding board. Either is alright, if the content is good, I don't mind not engaging the author at all. I might strike up a good conversation with another reader.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:51 am 

Server: Magtheridon
I agree with Akabeko, and also for me I want my commenters to feel more welcome in my blog and also a great way of saying you didn't ignore them that sometimes they also need your side of the story besides reading your topic you just posted. For me it just shows RESPECT to anyone, even if its an anonymous commenter. :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:02 pm 

Server: Runetotem (US)
Thanks for all of the replies! I really appreciate it... I think as I keep blogging, I'll eventually get into the swing of things. Apparently, I'm as bad at replying to my blog comments as I am replying on forum posts I've made. lol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:50 pm 

Server: Magtheridon
Toriah wrote:
Thanks for all of the replies! I really appreciate it... I think as I keep blogging, I'll eventually get into the swing of things. Apparently, I'm as bad at replying to my blog comments as I am replying on forum posts I've made. lol

No problem anytime! Also don't get discourage if no one commented on your recent or previous posts, the important thing is you shared your ideas and put effort in what you do. Also it's good that your here in BA too you can definitely Check Edenvale's Project for BA Circle. It's a good idea if you want to have more commenters in your blog. Anyway, Good Luck! =)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:47 am 

Server: Earthen Ring
I wish I got comments! haha. No but seriously, if I did, I would probably reply to all of them. I like hearing feedback no matter what it is. I get excited when people have something to say. If I seem desperate, I don't care, I love chatting with people.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:26 am 

Server: Nagrand
I am also going to add that I get emails when someone comments on my blog, so I tend to just email a response back then and there - time permitting - otherwise I have it sitting as a draft for when I do get time.

I am not the type to get too many comments though, I need t get out there more and start updating my blog a little more than just when we raid, so people have stuff to comment on :)