Blog Azeroth

A forum for World of Warcraft Bloggers
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:41 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: How to: Get past the man
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:22 pm 

Much of your blog traffic occurs during the day. This means that a lot of your users are browsing on "work time". You need to keep this in mind.

- "The Man" may setup filters to prevent their employees from "wasting company time". Be wary of creating a URL that contains the words "warcraft" or "blog" as those are easy for "The Man" to filter out. "The Man" also tends to filter out common free-blogging sites (blogger, wordpress.com, etc). Do what you can to not be one of the "filtered out".
- If your audience -can- get to your site, be careful about your colors/layout. Beyond readability concerns, white text on a black background with a huge, full-color image of an elf, orc or trogg will probably raise some eyebrows if "The Man" sees the site over the shoulder of your audience.
- If you allow for RSS feeds (which you really should) include full-feeds, especially if your site is ending up as one of the "filtered out" sites.

Nibuca

WWW Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:39 am 

Good suggestions, damn the man! damn his eyes! @@

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:41 am 

Aye, "the Man" really butchered my normal reading program. In one night 2/3 of the normal blogs I read have been ICED.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:03 am 

Server: Kul Tiras (US)
Good tips, Nibuca. Unfortunately for me, The Man must play WoW (I suspect a gold farmer!).

I can't get to the following sites, for example: Resto4Life (as of today! :x ); Mania's Arcania (and Petopia); World of Matticus (also as of today).

Who knows? Tomorrow, I may be able to read Phae & Matt in the original again. (Have never been able to read Mania's blog from work.)

Thank Elune for Google Reader!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:42 pm 

We had the same issue with our previous guild's website and it was all in the meta tags. While they're great for people trying to find our site, it became an issue when our guild members could no longer access our forums from work.

In the end, we chose to not use meta tags at all for our new site. But then again, we have a trapped audience. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:30 pm 

Kestrel wrote:
Good tips, Nibuca. Unfortunately for me, The Man must play WoW (I suspect a gold farmer!).

I can't get to the following sites, for example: Resto4Life (as of today! :x ); Mania's Arcania (and Petopia); World of Matticus (also as of today).

Who knows? Tomorrow, I may be able to read Phae & Matt in the original again. (Have never been able to read Mania's blog from work.)

Thank Elune for Google Reader!

Ugh! Kestrel it sounds like "the man" is actively trying to spite your wow reading pleasure. That kind of filtering would happen if someone were reading log files and following the links to see if the resource is "valid work material".

I've got very little for you.

Hopefully full RSS feeds will be available for you.. otherwise you can possibly look at anonimizers.. but if "the man" is actively filtering out sites.. he can filter out the anonimizer.. and if he doesn't, you going through an anonimizer could be grounds for dismissal. Be safe.

UGH!

Nibuca