Blog Azeroth

A forum for World of Warcraft Bloggers
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:29 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: LF a writer for a wow newsletter
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:54 pm 

Server: Daggerspine EU
Hey there, wow blogger...

Wanna make real money writing about WoW?

I am a long time wow player and I own a wow site.

I have an email list of 7500 double opt-in subscribers interested in wow tips.

The way things stand right now, I am not able to write the tips to my list myself. I am therefore looking for a competent writer for penning some quality wow tips that I can send out.

The job will be easy for the right person.

Here's the deal I have in mind (open to suggestions):

* You will commit to writing a minimum of 3-5 newsletters in advance. You will clear the topics with me in advance. They will be helpful TIPS, not about your character's adventures etc.
* Every newsletter will be 300-600 words or thereabout. Like an article, basically.
* Every newsletter will contain a clickbank affiliate link to one of several wow guides.
* Your payment will be 50% of the sales from that link in that issue.
* We will either create an A/B split-test with separate aff. ID's, meaning you can have YOUR OWN affiliate link in 50% of the subscribers emails, and I will have my link in the other half. OR you can just trust me to pay you 50% through paypal (easier and less costly for you and easier to get your money since Clickbank has minimum payment threshholds.) In the latter case, we'll use a separate tracking ID to see how many sales we get from each newsletter and I'll show you a screenshot of my Clickbank stats so you know I'm telling the truth.
* I have never tried this exact way of email marketing before, but I have made $xx.xxx on this email list by pitching various guides to it, so there may be a good potential for mutual profits for you and me.
* You're working on commission and there are no guarantees. I honestly have no idea if you'll make an average of $100 per article or $0 (probably more than $0). You still have to provide me with 3-5 articles in advance for the test.
* You will give me exclusivity to the articles for at least 30 days after each one has been emailed out, so it cannot be any pre-existing content you already have on your blog. Although, it could conceivably be a close re-write of something you've already written. It depends on what it is and will be judged on a case-by-case basis.
* If the test goes well there may be a lot more work and money going forward. Also possibly work on my website.
* You are working under my brand name and will not have the opportunity to link to or inform my subscribers about your blog/website/whatever.

Here's what I'm looking for in you:
* Your English must be very good.
* You absolutely must be very knowledgeable about WoW. The more achievements, level 80s, alts and experience in PvP, raiding, making gold, leveling etc. the better.
* You should be 18 or older.
* YOU will report and pay any and all applicable taxes etc. on the money you make.
* You'll need a paypal account to get paid or a Clickbank account if you choose that route.
* You should preferably have some samples of your wow writings that I can look at (e.g. a blog).
* You need to be able to deliver the goods and keep deadlines.

Here's what you need to do:
Contact me by PM here and tell me a little about your experience in WoW such as /played, your characters, your areas of expertise. Also tell me a bit about your writing experience and where I can see a sample of your writing. I will reply to all messages except those who waste my time (e.g. you're not getting the job if your main is level 48. Don't even ask)

If you have any general questions about this offer, write them below so I can answer them for everybody at the same time.

Thanks for reading & looking forward to hearing from you.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: LF a writer for a wow newsletter
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:22 pm 

Server: Ravencrest (EU)
I'm not interested in the oppurtunity but do have a single piece of criticism that may put off other bloggers.

Quote:
* You are working under my brand name and will not have the opportunity to link to or inform my subscribers about your blog/website/whatever.

This simple clause may not be a good one to include. Part of the attraction of posting on blogs/sites other than your own is the generation of back-links to aid organic search rankings and the like. Also they act as means for people to see who the person doing the writing is if they are unaware of who they are.

At the end of the day it is of course your own project, but that's my 2c on it. I don't see how inclusion of reference to the authors origin would negatively impact on any potential conversions. But then again there may be a good point there for you to do an A/B test on.

WWW Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:41 pm 

Thanks for the feedback.

Typically, what's in it for the writer is either money or a link to their site/blog. Not both. In this case it's the opportunity to make money.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:47 pm 

Server: Moonrunner-US
Divine wrote:
Thanks for the feedback.

Typically, what's in it for the writer is either money or a link to their site/blog. Not both. In this case it's the opportunity to make money.

You must not read WoW.com then :) You're asking for unique material for pay, but also denying that author a chance to promote his other works that may or may not have anything to do with your venture. I agree with Stray that you may have more success (especially from a community that blogs primarily for fun and not profit) if you allow them to post their affiliated site somewhere in their byline area.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:45 pm 

Well, I am looking for someone to write emails containing WoW tips, not guest blog or something like that, and I want the reader to buy the offer at the end of the email. Including the writer's blog as well would murder response. That's why I pay money instead.

The offer still stands.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:47 am 

Server: Defias Brotherhood
What I would like to know is, where do you have the 7500 subscribers from? Is this from previous newsletters you have sent out, or..

I would really like to know more about your company before deciding anything, prefrably a link to your site so we know what we affiliate ourselves with.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:10 pm 

This offer is no longer available at this time.

Qieth,

I got the subscribers by offering a free wow tips report on my website that they had to sign up for.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:26 pm 

Server: Defias Brotherhood
I must admit, what made me wary was the fact that you offered very little information on your site. Should you be out looking for writers another time, more information might net you a better result :)