Blog Azeroth

A forum for World of Warcraft Bloggers
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:25 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Achievement: Name a Blog (50 pts)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:27 am 

Server: Black Dragonflight
Blog Name: Achievement: Name a Blog (50 pts)

Blog URL: http://nameablog.wordpress.com/

Blog Focus: Druids, generally Restoration Druids with a mostly PvE slant. A little about Warriors may also come up, as my first 70 is one, and while I have no immediate plans to play him seriously in the near future... You never know.

Character Name: Naithin

Character Server: Blackdragon Flight (US, PvP, Horde) & Dark Iron (US, PvP, Alliance, rarely played now).

Other Information: Not a blog I intend to take to the wider public any time soon. It will take me a while to perfect (read: become passably adequate) the blog writing style. I'm open to CC on the project as a whole, and on the writing specifically. (i.e., first post: lacks focus. Too broad, without depth. Why would anyone else be interested in reading that? etc etc)

I have to be honest and say this could well be a fly by night deal. A fit of whimsy took hold of me, and here I am. As good as my intentions are right now, we'll have to see if there is the commitment to match. ;)

In any event, hello all! Hope to get to know more of you in the near future. :)

WWW Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Tank'n'Tree
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:47 am 

I made the move to self-hosted. And changed name in the process. (I know right, are there any single other actions I could take to potentially lose more readers? Let alone combining the two of them? Honestly though, there were not a huge number currently anyway, so figured before I got serious with it all again, may as well go ahead and get these things done and over!)

But yes, in any event, I got my achievement and selected a name! Tank'n'Tree!

----------------

Blog Name: Tank'n'Tree

Blog URL: http://tankntree.com/

Blog Focus: Resto Druids and Prot Warriors! Primarily PvE focused, and so far the Prot Warrior aspect is sorely lacking, despite having been my most played character over the interim until very recently, but content on this aspect is coming

Character Name: Naithin and Nathin

Character Server: Blackdragon Flight (US, PvP, Horde)

Other Information: Blog layout and appearance is still a work in progress, but I'm loving having so much more control than wp.com offered me. Graphics are incoming to break up the wall-of-text appearance it somewhat has at present, but even now it looks far better than what I had been able to achieve thus far on the prior iteration.

Nonetheless, any and all constructive criticism or comments in general are quite welcome. :)

Post subject: Re: Achievement: Name a Blog (50 pts)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:20 am 

Server: Shandris
I really dig your design. I haven't seen one like it before. I'd suggest adding timestamps (I can't be the only one who looks for those, right?) and punching up the indicator about comments. Because the comment link is in the sidebar, I think people might miss it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:17 am 

Thanks, Llyra!

I wish I could claim more credit for the theme, but it's actually one of the wordpress featured themes currently. While I have tweaked it in a lot of small ways (by default, the post text is too faint on white bg, for instance, and titles were too small for my taste) overall the awesome work was done by the designer of the theme. :)

The comment link not being at the bottom of the posts is one thing that had me a little worried as well, it's just where most people expect to find them so it, so given where mine actually is, and it's small size, would not be difficult to miss. I might see what I can do about altering the theme to include it at the 'expected' location as well, or otherwise boldening up where it is located presently.

Time stamps as well probably wouldn't go amiss, not 100% sure how that would be handled, but I suspect it isn't too difficult to add those as well. The site while looking vastly improved over my wp.com location, is still a work in progress, my latest project has been getting a title graphic up. :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:39 am 

Done and Done!

Cranked up the size of the comments link on the side, as well as placing a leave a comment link under each post itself. :)

Also added in a timestamp display just under the existing date display. I'm so so tempted to switch the month/day order as well, but I realise writing for a predominantly international audience, so trying to refrain from doing so. Although it irks me so to see it that way around all the time. :P

Anywho, thanks again for the suggestions, they were indeed good ones, and have now been implemented! :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:33 pm 

Server: Moon Guard
I really like the new blog name -- the old one was clever, but it didn't speak to the topic the way the new ones does. :)

I also like the layout. It's different. Not everyone likes that, of course, but I find it refreshing.

Added to my site! :)

Profile Send private message