It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:45 am

All times are UTC

Is Outbrain a good idea?
Yes 47%  47%  [ 8 ]
No 53%  53%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 17
 Post subject: Outbrain: An easy way to allow readers to rate your posts
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:11 pm 

Just like Amazon's star rating system, you can install this plug-in to Wordpress, Blogger, or TypePad to get a little 5-star rating gizmo on your posts.

Kestrel's got an example up.

So does Disciple of the Light.

Here's a link to the Outbrain site.

NOTE: You can't use the plug-in on Wordpress.com (free) sites like mine. :(

aka Natalie

WWW Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:58 pm 

Mmm, I don't know. It's an interesting system to be sure. I'd be so demoralized if everything I wrote only merited a 1 star :(.

But to heck with that. I write for me! =)

WoW Priest and Officer Blogger

Find me on GMail: matttz@gmail.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:16 pm 

Just my 2 cents...I dont think readers want to mess with this. I just think they want good, consistent, original content.

I'm going to set up a survey. :)

Romans 1:18
WTFlux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:53 pm 

I personally would mess with it as a reader. I mean, the whole point of blogging (as opposed to publishing) is for interaction or, as Matt says, doin your own thing. If you wanna do your own thing then I imagine that this wouldn't be useful and that what your readers say won't make much difference. But I know there are plenty of times when I'm just not motivated enough to leave a "good job" comment but I really liked a post. This system gives me a way to weigh in. If I could do it on my blog, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Ultimately, to each his own.

And btw, there is a poll about Outbrain on the top of this thread.

aka Natalie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:12 pm 

Note, this may be obvious to some, but the stars don't show up in RSS. Perhaps there's a way to configure it thusly, I don't know.

aka Natalie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:45 pm 

Game Dame wrote:
And btw, there is a poll about Outbrain on the top of this thread.

:) sorry, I should have been more clear. I was thinking about building a survey for blog readers, do some usability testing on what users like in a blog- etc.

Romans 1:18
WTFlux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:57 pm 

WRATHofGOD wrote:
:) sorry, I should have been more clear. I was thinking about building a survey for blog readers, do some usability testing on what users like in a blog- etc.

LOL... no apology. Usability test away and report back!

aka Natalie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:44 am 

It's nice, but is it customizeable?
Yellow stars might not fit in all themes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:39 pm 

Server: Proudmoore
So far, that would be my complaint against it. It's very good at picking up the styles in your blog (Blogger ones, at the least), but it's VERY rigid after that.

Ah, well. It doesn't look bad to me.
~Rhoe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:39 pm 

Server: Scarlet Crusade (US)
I'm torn on this one. On the one hand, I know I love 5-Star AJAX-based ratings systems on things like Amazon.com products. On the other, I recognize that not ALL of my posts are going to be 5-Star worthy. That doesn't mean that I need my readers to let me know they aren't, though. :-)

Edit: I voted "no" because I don't think it's a good idea for my blog, even if I like the idea in general.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:20 pm 

I voted yes. But I'm not going to use it at this time.

If there's a way I could somehow tie that system into my blog and have it output like... "Top 10 Highest Ranked posts" or something like that, then I'd definitely use it and find a way to work it into my system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:05 am 

Quote:
Matticus hey! -

I’m the founder of Outbrain, and I’ve been tracking your chat about our product. I was trying to answer some of the questions that were raised, but have not been able to reply there. So, if you could pass the messages below to your fellow warcrafters I’d be grateful:

- To Game Dame – if you use FeedBurner for RSS syndication, then we’ve got support for that - http://www.outbrain.com/new/pages/get_r ... urner.html
It’s a little lame compared to the proper JS widget, but it’s the best possible within RSS feeds…

- To Bbr – No – we offer no customization of the widget. We debated this a lot, but decided in favor of keeping the widget and installation as simple as possible. For example – to allow for customization, we’d probably have to require bloggers to open an account with us, etc.
That said – we have put a ton of effort into inheriting as much of the blog’s design as possible. In fact, except for the color of the stars, I don’t think we push *any* of our design with the widget, but rather inherit the whole look&feel from the site. We also put a lot of effort in blending in nicely with your blog’s background.
So I think that in general we give you 90% of the benefit of customizing the widget to fit the design of your blog, with none of the headaches.

- To Rhoelyn – Same points as above. The widget should look more or less as if it were designed by the blogger as an integral part of the site.

- To Phaelia – As bloggers, we felt like we were writing into a black hole and got no feedback from our readers. Ratings is a great way for readers to “tell” the blogger what kind of stuff they find most interesting.
Also – after a handful of ratings, we start personalizing the scores that are shown for each specific reader. So a post averaging 2.5 for one reader may show a 4.5 for another. In other words – this is less about putting a global red flag on certain posts, and more about telling each reader – “here’s something we think you’re *really* going to like!”. I think readers will appreciate that service.

- And lastly – to you – We do offer a ‘most popular’ widget as a sidebar, but it’s still in closed beta. If you’re interested, we’ll try to set you up on that. The cool thing about it is that we don’t look at ‘highest average’, nor at ‘most ratings’ (both would give bad results…). Rather – we’ve developed algorithms that consider both # of ratings and averages, as well as the age of each post, and we blend that into a true ‘most popular’ list.

Hope this helps. If there’s *anything* else we can help with, or if anyone there needs some help setting up, please don’t hesitate to drop me a note at:

Galai [at] outbrain [dot] com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:18 am 

Server: Illidan (US)
Awesome. Nice to see them communicating with the user base.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:24 pm 

Server: Kul Tiras (US)
I voted "Yes" but it's provisional. First, I am using it right now, so it would be hypocritical to say "No", yes?

Second, I'm evaluating it for how it fits my blog. I wish it had been installed when I wrote my post on BG strategies: That one generated some excellent discussion, but I'd like to know how readers evaluated the content of the post. (Was the post so bad, people felt compelled to comment, or was it so good, they wanted to add to the goodness?)

Third, Galai at Outbrain also commented on my blog: That kind of involvement with their customer base--for a free product/service, impresses me.

Finally, the response on my blog has been favorable. Of course, does that mean non-blogger readers like it, or blogging readers, or both? No way to measure that, short of comments--and those are hardly a scientific sample.

But I think Dammy put it best: It's free, it's easy, what's not to like?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:50 am 

I'm not much of a fan of 1-5 or 1-10 1-100 systems.
People who like something will vote 10, those who don't tend to either vote 1 or just ignore the vote entirely. so the results will be skewed one way or the other.

Something like digger, either you like it or you don't, vote yea or nay.
Then have a script display a % based on those votes, tends to be fairer imho.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:59 pm 

Is it possible to show the "top 10 highest rated posts" ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:25 pm 

Server: Kul Tiras (US)
Not that I'm aware of.

I've also stopped using Outbrain because it severely conflicts with one or more other WordPress plugins I value more highly.

Post subject: comments from Outbrain
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:13 am 

Hi folks - first thanks for giving Outbrain a try and commenting about your experiences here on Azeroth. Full disclosure - I did vote a YES for Outbrain on your poll - just to break the tie :)

Aside from that I am the VP of biz dev and I did want to highlight a few issues that may help you evaluate Outbrain.

to "BBR" re: Wordpress.com - yes you are right that we do not integrate with wordpress.com yet. You are not alone in wanting Outbrain for wp.com as we invite you to voice your opinion here; http://getsatisfaction.com/outbrain/top ... _com_blogs

Just so you all know, our goal is to provide a service where bloggers like yourselves can display personally relevant recommendations to your readers. Our rating widget is a tool for you to gather reader opinion. The main benefit here is that we aim to give our bloggers the ability to increase their pageviews by having readers click on recommended links and to drive new traffic to your blog by recommending your content on other blogs in our network. To enable recommendations on your blog, it's as simple as a check box. If you registered with Outbrain when you installed, just visit www.outbrain.com, sign in, click Manage blog settings and enable your recommendations. If you did not register with Outbrain, visit the site, register to claim your blog and follow the above steps. To see a sample of what the recommendations look like visit the Outbrain blog http://blog.outbrain.com/.

See Your New Traffic - we have a new bloggers reporting dashboard that was just launched that allows you to login on demand and see the number of ratings, page views and new traffic Outbrain has generated for your blog. This is the best evaluation tool for our bloggers and I encourage you to enable the recommendations and let the data speak for itself.

Lastly, we have this great new feature called Private White List Groups. This allows bloggers to cooperate with each other and set up a group that agrees to share recommendations only with each other. This way, you can control what links get shown on your blog. If you want to explore setting up a group of "gamer blogs" shoot me an email at john(at)outbrain(dot)com and we will set you up in immediately.

Thanks again for the engagement. We appreciate the feedback. Shoot me an email anytime :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:22 am 

BBR - yes you can show the 10 Most Popular posts on your blog. Great question actually. If you registered with Outbrain you can turn this feature on with a check box. If you did not register shoot me an email and I can walk you through it - john(at)outbrain(dot)com.

See Demo - if you visit the Outbrain http://blog.outbrain.com/ - you will see a widget in the right side bar titled "Most Popular" - this is it. Basically a great way to drive readers deeper into your content and increase page views. Side note - the Outbrain Most Popular links are calculated on pure social values including ratings, raters and relevance. This is quite different that most of the simple numerical "Top rated" widgets that are around. The result is that the Outbrain Most Popular links are different than a numerical list and thus more interesting - which in turn draws more engagement and clicks/page views.

good question - thanks for raising it here on Azeroth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:03 pm 

Johnlogioco wrote:
BBR - yes you can show the 10 Most Popular posts on your blog. Great question actually. If you registered with Outbrain you can turn this feature on with a check box. If you did not register shoot me an email and I can walk you through it - john(at)outbrain(dot)com.

See Demo - if you visit the Outbrain http://blog.outbrain.com/ - you will see a widget in the right side bar titled "Most Popular" - this is it. Basically a great way to drive readers deeper into your content and increase page views. Side note - the Outbrain Most Popular links are calculated on pure social values including ratings, raters and relevance. This is quite different that most of the simple numerical "Top rated" widgets that are around. The result is that the Outbrain Most Popular links are different than a numerical list and thus more interesting - which in turn draws more engagement and clicks/page views.

good question - thanks for raising it here on Azeroth.

Got it set up on : http://spicepaper.blogspot.com/ and added a poll for it on : http://rrvs.blogspot.com/
Looks ok for now. Easy to add too.

Also, it might be nice to have a way to set the most popular post to a limitation in the script. e.g. instead of top 10, allow 5 or 15 if a user wanted that.

Instead of Bad, Boring, OK, good, excellent I'd love to see that text editable. Would that be possible in the account settings at some time?

If posts are deleted, are the ratings deleted from the history as well?

Another feature perhaps or future investigation would be to have a (small) list under the top 10 ratings which could optionally be enabled to show 2-3 posts with no ratings yet, or very few ratings. This would increase the exposure of the archives and get people to read older posts somewhat more instead of just the front page.

Good thing you guys are responding to individual forums though, shows dedication.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:27 pm 

This is John from Outbrain. Thanks for installing us on Spicepaper - cool blog :) Here are a few answers to your great questions and inquiries;

Also, it might be nice to have a way to set the most popular post to a limitation in the script. e.g. instead of top 10, allow 5 or 15 if a user wanted that.
(great idea. We can do this on the backend for you and are looking into this as a setting in the future.)

Instead of Bad, Boring, OK, good, excellent I'd love to see that text editable. Would that be possible in the account settings at some time?
(Changing this through settings is not possible but we can send you a language file that would allow the text changes.)

If posts are deleted, are the ratings deleted from the history as well?
working on this answer

Another feature perhaps or future investigation would be to have a (small) list under the top 10 ratings which could optionally be enabled to show 2-3 posts with no ratings yet, or very few ratings. This would increase the exposure of the archives and get people to read older posts somewhat more instead of just the front page.
(interesting idea - we'll look into this)

Good thing you guys are responding to individual forums though, shows dedication.
(we are dedicated, especially to our bloggers :) so shoot our Account Manager an email if you want the language files and an adjustment on your Most Popular listings @ kate (at) outbrain (dot) com,
-= Random Ravings =- Why pay for something, if you can get it for free? Rants and ravings, guides, theorycraft, wotlk alpha info and more. No goldsellers, no levelling services, no bots, no hacks, only ingame knowledge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:53 pm 

Hi this is Kate the Account Manager from Outbrain.

Bbr - I'm working on getting you an answer to your question about deleted posts - I'll have some feedback on it for you tomorrow.

Like John said - feel free to contact me if anything else comes up!
kate (at) outbrain (dot) com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:23 pm 

Hi all. I have an answer on the question about deleted posts.

When a post is deleted, our system is not aware of the deletion. The ratings can stay in the system forever but have no effect. If you are running into an issue where a deleted post is showing up in the Most Popular list just let us know and we'll fix it on the back end.

Hope this clears things up!