Blog Azeroth

A forum for World of Warcraft Bloggers
It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:58 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Writing Timeless vs Time Sensitive Posts
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:50 am 

I don't exactly have a blog about blogging. But I wanted to mention two types of posts that have delivered consistent satisfaction both to me as a blogger and to readers. So I'm gonna annoy our mods here by randomly posting once a week about some facet of blogging (faucet? facet?).

Timeless

These are your long term posts. Not only are they relevant today, they'll be relevant in a year. Topics include but are not limited to loot systems, philosophy, management, beliefs, etc. These are great, long term and steady generators of traffic. They tend to attract inbound links if written exceptionally well and they'll rake in consistent views.

There's no expiry date on them. Usually.

Time sensitive

These types of blog posts will experience a large spike or surge in traffic before being rendered useless later on down the line. Topics include thoughts on class changes, patch notes, dungeon guides and so forth. They're relevant for specific periods of time before rendered obsolete. Also excellent sources of traffic for the short term because they'll eventually convert viewers into long time subscribers and readers of your content.

There's been a recent surge of 4.0.6 thoughts and opinions. That's what would be considered this type of post.

Anyway, note that one type of post isn't any better than the other. They're both styles used for different purposes. But what do they both have in common?

They're both useful!

I haven't been around as much as I'd like. There's so much turnover at times it's difficult for me to keep track. It's why I've occassionally asked for help and recommendations for blogs because I haven't been able to keep up.

That being said though, I'm aware that I apparently have some type of intimidating presence. Dwarves will do that (must be the beard). If you ever have a question about blogging, or writing, or promoting your stuff, feel free to drop me an email anytime. I won't be able to get to it right away, but don't be discouraged. If you actually do have a question, please be reeeeeally specific.

Bad: How can I get better at blogging?
Answer: <essay>

Good: What's the most effective thing I can do to attract readers?
Answer: Your headline. Did you know 8/10 people will read your headline but only 2/10 will click through to read your content? <trailing paragraph>

WoW Priest and Officer Blogger

Find me on GMail: matttz@gmail.com

WWW Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Writing Timeless vs Time Sensitive Posts
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:00 am 

Server: Ner'zhul
Your posting about blogging once in awhile is soooo not annoying ;D

I find that my time sensitive posts tend to draw more situation traffic than my timeless posts (unless it's a post about gender or something, and then I get flooded), but when those guides/advice posts get outdated, it always feels like I worked so hard for nothing.

...I always secretly hope that someone ends up doing a multidisciplinary project on WoW history and uses my archaic posts as artifacts.

WWW Profile Send private message