Blog Azeroth

A forum for World of Warcraft Bloggers
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:36 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Help: Its, It's and It is
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:35 pm 

There's got to be an English major somewhere around here or at least someone that scored top marks in English. This is a question that's plagued me for some time and no matter how many English courses I endure and books I read, I continue to use them incorrectly.

When do we use which form of "its" when? Examples would be awesome to have =).

WoW Priest and Officer Blogger

Find me on GMail: matttz@gmail.com

WWW Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:11 pm 

Server: Draenor US
well I'm no english major but

I can provide an easy link :D

How to use "It's and "Its" Correctly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:43 pm 

It's quite simple actually.

It's = It is.

That's it. Whenever you write a sentence with its or it's, just say it out loud and substitute "it is" in there. If it works with "it is" then use the apostrophe.

I'm sure that's what the link said, but that's my quick an easy way to figure it out. Same with "That's" - substitute "that is" in in either of my previous two sentences and it works either way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:46 pm 

Server: Kul Tiras (US)
"It's" = "it is" (contraction)

"Its" = any other time (possessive)

And as long as we're here: Possessive pronouns -- hers, theirs, ours -- DO NOT HAVE APOSTROPHES.

Similarly, the present tense form of the verb "to let" doesn't have an apostrophe either: "Sometimes, BBBB lets Cassieann get a word in edgewise."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:25 pm 

Oh good God this is one of those things that drives me bananas. Please read and heed those rules. I'm kind of a jerk in guildchat when I see people screw it up beyond comprehension. I have to correct them. Same thing applies to "their", "there", "there's" and "theirs."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:03 am 

With me, it's not the apostrophes that drive me nuts, its the otherwise intelligent, and sometimes even eloquent, people who insist on using "U" and "2" as words. Is it really so hard for "U 2" type 2-3 letter words out?

http://ramblingbear.blogspot.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:40 am 

sorry, spellcheck ftw...:P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:42 pm 

Arrens wrote:
Oh good God this is one of those things that drives me bananas. Please read and heed those rules. I'm kind of a jerk in guildchat when I see people screw it up beyond comprehension. I have to correct them. Same thing applies to "their", "there", "there's" and "theirs."

As much as it pains me to see people use it's/its and there/their/they're incorrectly in guild chat, I just can't be the grammar nazi. I want to correct them every time with a quick reminder...

Guildie: I'm going to steal there trinket.
Me: *their

Oh how fun that would be. I have a feeling it wouldn't endear me to too many people though as the spelling and grammar mistakes are too frequent - and you can even tell that they're not just accidental mistakes, but mistakes made over and over and over again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:53 pm 

Server: US-Proudmoore
My guildies have taken to saying "rouge" and "exhaulted" deliberately because they know it makes me want to scream...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:13 pm 

Tiddlywinks wrote:
Arrens wrote:

As much as it pains me to see people use it's/its and there/their/they're incorrectly in guild chat, I just can't be the grammar nazi. I want to correct them every time with a quick reminder...

Guildie: I'm going to steal there trinket.
Me: *their

Oh how fun that would be. I have a feeling it wouldn't endear me to too many people though as the spelling and grammar mistakes are too frequent - and you can even tell that they're not just accidental mistakes, but mistakes made over and over and over again.

As much as I hate to see that kind of stuff in guild chat, I'm fairly certain correcting people has gotten me ignored on the Trade channel more than a few times. But what bugs me most about guild chat is the whole text speak nonsense. Seeing "u cum to arc and bring l33t dps NAO. kkthxbai" makes my eyes bleed and pure, unadulterated rage boil from the center of my very being.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:28 pm 

Server: US-Proudmoore
QFT.

It does NOT save that much time, typing "ur" instead of "your" or "you're", and it causes /so/ many blood pressure problems. (Not to mention oh, readability and comprehension problems to boot.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:04 pm 

Server: Kul Tiras (US)
Back in my military days in Strategic Air Command, "UR" was the abbreviation, in our classified "how to go to war" docs, for the USSR. (No, the "UR" isn't classified; no national security problems here!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:08 pm 

Kestrel wrote:
Back in my military days in Strategic Air Command, "UR" was the abbreviation, in our classified "how to go to war" docs, for the USSR. (No, the "UR" isn't classified; no national security problems here!)

!!РИПОРТЭД Главным Коммандующийм!!

((Reported to the Head Command)) :p Oh wait... the USSR is gone. Dang.
And they actually wouldn't understand that anyway because I just transliterated "REPORTED" because for some reason I thought that would be funny.

Grammatical/spelling errors or this type really bother me as well, but I play with a lot of foreigners it seems, so I can usually forgive them. Otherwise I just hold my tongue (fingers) to keep the peace...

What would be nice is an auto-correct display option so they can keep doing what they are doing, but we don't have to read it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:47 pm 

Siha wrote:
QFT.

It does NOT save that much time, typing "ur" instead of "your" or "you're", and it causes /so/ many blood pressure problems. (Not to mention oh, readability and comprehension problems to boot.)

Thankfully I only play on RPPVP and RP servers, so guild chat is almost always in character and when someone comes on with their l33t speak, they get a talking to from the higher ups. Keeps me much more sane and able to lash out in trade :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:39 pm 

Grammar is my biggest pet peeve too. Specifically:

The nominative vs. objective case of pronouns (he, him/who, whom/etc).
The distinction between less and fewer.

I can pontificate at will on either. Let me know if you want/need such :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:04 pm 

Siha wrote:
My guildies have taken to saying "rouge" and "exhaulted" deliberately because they know it makes me want to scream...

I know what you mean - some of my guildees switch into Lolcat as a (mostly deliberate) windup effort "I can haz epix plz" type thing which grows old quickly.

Some classic typoes have entered the guild lexicon too: in an instance, an engineering rogue sent a message about explosives but rather than typing grenades (he may have been distracted by combat or just trusting to his typing) he typed "genfes" and the rallying cry in guildchat as we get ready for runs is "have you remembered the genfes?"