Blog Azeroth

A forum for World of Warcraft Bloggers
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:05 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Setting up a Guild Website - Should I set one up?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:48 pm 

My computer went down two weeks ago and I had the motherboard replaced. Unfortunately during that time I was unable to play WoW and missed several guild related issues during that time. A few guild members, at least one prominent contributing member, left to pursue opportunities with guilds further along in other areas. One was kicked out for inappropriate behavior and a few for not logging in for over a month.

Needless to say, the guildmaster felt the guild was falling apart and almost disbanded the guild. Fortunately, he told me he didn't because another member and I hadn't been on for a little while and he didn't want to surprise us. Now he's in the mood to fix the guild with the help of the "Founders" and "Officers".

My solution is to create a guild website. Items that I would like to put here are calendars for events such as raids, a blog forum for guild communication (whether grievances, issues, congratulations, questions, etc.), a DKP tracking system (I have a very basic understanding of how this works), among other things.

My questions to you are what is your experience with guild websites; are they helpful? What things do you like to see? What do you not like to see? Do you have any that I can view as examples? What are some good resources for setting up a website? And anything else you can think of that might help me.

I have no experience with setting up a website. I have seen some of the free sites and heard very mixed things about those, but will probably play around with them until I get a feel for how to maintain one. I learn fairly quickly and am confident I can learn fast enough to put up a basic site. Might not be flashy! :D

Thanks again.

If you'd rather comment on my blog site, please go to: http://kyrilean.blogspot.com/2008/02/gu ... e-one.html

Last edited by Kyrilean on Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WWW Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:58 pm 

I'm afraid I can't help you set it up as I haven't had the experience myself. What I can tell you is that for it to be effective, the guild members have to be active upon the boards (much like this site). If you set it up and it lies dormant for several months, what's the point?

Encourage activity. Let folks know that if they want to set up a raid or even a regular 5-man instance run they have to use the guild forum.

My guild has one and it hasn't been updated since it was built. As a result, Kara raids are thrown together on the fly, usually with a PUG assist to fill in needed roles. When someone logs on and realizes 8 people in the guild are in Kara and they didn't know about it, some animosity is formed and thus begins a bit of guild drama.

WWW Profile Send private message