Blog Azeroth

A forum for World of Warcraft Bloggers
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:58 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Achieving RL Balance
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:29 am 

Today we had one of our Main Tanks call it a day and wish us well. She wants to get back her RL focus and has decided that wow takes up too much of her waking hours.

It did get me thinking, that achieving RL/WoW balance is very important and most likely a good thing for players to do. I would like to write a piece on this and your thoughts would be appreciated - perhaps it could be a shared topic?

Katiya

WWW Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:16 pm 

I think RL will always find a way to make you keep the balance. I went from around 35-40 hours of WoW a week to around 20 when i got out of college and starting working full time. My guild leader works on a ski rsort, so his play time goes down during the winter.

As long as you manage to keep your priorities straight there's no need to quit or other extreme measures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:05 pm 

One of the greatest posts I've ever read about...well...anything, really, had to do with a guy quitting WoW and his reasoning behind it. The comments that followed were pretty much what one would expect when faced with the anonymity of the internet.

Check it out here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:27 pm 

I do find that now that I play I use any free time for Wow and not things I use to do like learn a new programming language or learn and use new web packages.. but WoW has made me learn some, setting up DKP sites for my guild and MySQL related to those packages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:35 pm 

Conjude wrote:
... but WoW has made me learn some, setting up DKP sites for my guild and MySQL related to those packages.

Sure, WoW can inspire folks to learn more. But I think what Katiya is driving at is finding that right balance between playing the game and not shucking off your real-life responsibilities because of what should be a hobby. For those that can't seem to find that balance, quitting the game is certainly an alternative and one that shouldn't be viewed as "extreme."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:25 pm 

Arrens wrote:
Conjude wrote:
... but WoW has made me learn some, setting up DKP sites for my guild and MySQL related to those packages.

Sure, WoW can inspire folks to learn more. But I think what Katiya is driving at is finding that right balance between playing the game and not shucking off your real-life responsibilities because of what should be a hobby. For those that can't seem to find that balance, quitting the game is certainly an alternative and one that shouldn't be viewed as "extreme."

OHHHH.. My wife make sure I don't "shucking off your real-life responsibilities" but I do get away with more sitting at the PC than I probably should ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:32 pm 

I became very aware of the balance back in the preTBC Honor Decay system while ranking up my Druid. After 3 months of farming up to Rank 10 with a few friends and pugs, then another 1-2 months of farming with a premade, I hit Rank 12.. and realized that to go any further I would have to:

1) Not go to class.
2) Not show up to work.
3) Not see any of my friends/family.

No good! I called it quits and started ranking up my Rogue casually (5 months of straight up Druid PVP made a Rogue really, really refreshing to play).

But yeah, if WoW ever messes with points 1-3 it definately should go on the backburner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:49 pm 

Server: Draenor US
I think this would make a great shared topic actually. Mainly because my answer is too long to put here:P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:50 pm 

I actually have a very similer story to Braids. I got up to rank 8 after a few weeks where i did nothing but battlegrounds all day. In the following week i took 2 days during the week off of BGs and i lost all of my honer from the previous week. I think alot of people got burned out from the old honer system (I'm just glad i got out when i did).
Balencing real life and WoW is crucial. Just like a horse or car, you can't ride all day or keep driving once the oil is gone or past mileage and not excpect a break down at some point. The horse will fall down dead and the engine will overheat/break down. And for these examples there is no "getting back on the horse".

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:53 pm 

I posted something very personal on this topic:

http://www.justjoshin.net/wow/?p=42

What do you guys think?

a couple in azeroth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:39 pm 

Left you a post about it, Josh. Hope it helps. :)

On one hand, he's got some great ideas and opinions about blogging and hunter related stuff. He's even got a Bruce Campbell avatar over at the BRK forums.

On the other hand, he did roll Horde. And not just any Horde, but a big freakin' Tauren. AND...he uses a gun.

I'm so confused.

Survival Hunters Anonymous