Blog Azeroth

A forum for World of Warcraft Bloggers
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:16 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Topic Help: What kind of player are you?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:14 am 

Server: Hyjal
I came up with this idea when responding to Shared Topic #1.

Q: What kind of player are you?

There are a few mmo-research sites (The Daedalus Projectand PlayOncome to mind) with all sorts of data about players. I also know that there have been some MMO-centric player personality analyses done as well, identifying players as Explorers, Achievers, etc. (and can't find the durned link to them).

In thinking about why I play the class I play the most, I realized it had to do more with what kind of player I was than with the mechanics of the class, which got me thinking if other people were thinking the same thing.

It would be interesting to see how people might define their own player type, or if they associate with previously defined player types.

I'm also kind of throwing this out there hoping someone might link said previously defined player types.

Last edited by Ologhai on Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:31 am 

Was it Richard Bartle's?

http://www.mud.co.uk/richard/hcds.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartle_Test

WWW Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:20 pm 

Ah yes, that was it. Thank you very much!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:35 pm 

Server: Scarlet Crusade (US)
While I think this might make for an interesting shared topic, I think it would be too soon on the heels of the first topic to start writing a second. Variety is the spice of life, and were writers to chain post one "shared" topic after another, there would be little room for the blog articles that otherwise define their blogs. I would recommend waiting at least a week between topics or maybe collecting a list of potential topics (with descriptions) and then choosing one author to select from that list on a semi-regular schedule (perhaps every Monday).

Otherwise, we could very easily end up with "Shared Topic Idea #4, Shared Topic Idea #5", etc. as everyone rushes to get their idea written on.

Thoughts? Opinions? Rotten tomatoes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:41 pm 

Phaelia wrote:
While I think this might make for an interesting shared topic, I think it would be too soon on the heels of the first topic to start writing a second. Variety is the spice of life, and were writers to chain post one "shared" topic after another, there would be little room for the blog articles that otherwise define their blogs. I would recommend waiting at least a week between topics or maybe collecting a list of potential topics (with descriptions) and then choosing one author to select from that list on a semi-regular schedule (perhaps every Monday).

Otherwise, we could very easily end up with "Shared Topic Idea #4, Shared Topic Idea #5", etc. as everyone rushes to get their idea written on.

Thoughts? Opinions? Rotten tomatoes?

While I agree with you in principle, I also think sharing ideas is a great way for some writers to get past any writer's block they may be encountering. Just because someone posts a shared blog idea doesn't mean you MUST blog about it. Heck, I might even decide to post my ideas about the first one sometime much later down the line, adding my voice when the mood strikes. It may not follow along the lines of the original plan, but the basic concept would still apply.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:50 pm 

Good points there.

I was thinking that the Shared Topic was something along the lines of a weekly feature, so knowing what next week's topic would be gives some time for ideas to percolate. But of course, who determines next week's topic anyways? And having #4, #5, #6 filling up the Blogstorming forum isn't ideal either.

Siha started it. We can always just let her run with the ball. =)

For now, I'm gonna revise my topic title, since it was really just a thinly veiled attempt to solicit the information I couldn't remember or google anyways. ::shifty eyes::

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:47 am 

I believe the Daedalus Project used this model to describe game interests/motivation. Here is the test for it. This is the summary for how that model applies to Warcraft classes (see bottom of page).

That is the only model I have seen tied to specific Warcraft classes. However, there are other interesting models about game motivation and player types, such as Murray's Dynamics.