Blog Azeroth

A forum for World of Warcraft Bloggers
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Need advice - sweeping change to blog format
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:45 pm 

Server: Emerald Dream
Hello all, coming to you from the snowy confines of Philadelphia (currently buried under about 2 feet of snow, it's quite lovely actually)

I have a bit of a dilemma. For the past year I have blogged almost exclusively in the frame of the Rogue class. This is because since sunwell content I have played nothing but a Rogue. However lately I have had the itch to try something different and rolled a Pally and I am absolutely loving tanking and looking forward to healing again as I haven't done so since before sunwell content.

All that being said I'd like to shift gears with my blog and not focus on Rogue or even Paladin topics but rather a more general look at WoW. I feel very crippled at times trying to cater solely to the Rogue community and though I know the class well and enjoy it I want to write about much more without having to worry about that focus.

What should I do? I will keep the same url, I'm not going to redirect, and I really don't want to write multiple blogs. I'm all for a redesign visually. I'll change the name of course, currently A Rogue's Tale.

I'm just curious how you would handle this.

Any and ALL ideas greatly appreciated!!

Cheers!

~Ril

Emerald Dream (US)
Heroically Random

WWW Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Need advice - sweeping change to blog format
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:20 am 

Server: Moonrunner-US
WARN YOUR READERS!

Then you can go about making the necessary banner changes and adding in your new content. I would likely filter in new with old (type) content or a month or so to make the transition less jarring to your readers, but otherwise, I generally come to any blog for the writing more so than the information (unless I'm researching ^^).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:18 am 

Server: Ner'zhul
Grats on rolling a paladin and enjoying the best class in the game ;D

Jokes aside, if you're planing on doing a layout overhaul, I definitely agree that you should warn your readers! You can even get them excited by teasing them a bit with your new ideas in your announcement post.

Making the transition from rogue content to general content probably wouldn't upset your readers much, unless they only go to you for rogue information. If you have a good relationship with them and they read you because they enjoy your thoughts and your writing style, they'll stick around.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:31 am 

Server: Echo Isles
Like the 2 previous posts said, your readers comes first and they should be the first to be notified of your intentions. But just because you changed class and want to write more general stuff, you can still archive your rogue posts and just list them in a different category. You might still want to write rogue specific posts, just drop them under your rogue category so your readers will have the best of both worlds :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:11 am 

Server: Elune
My blog is named "restokin", and I cater primarily to druid topics. However, I got some really great feedback from my readers from non-druid posts that I started slipping in (things about my shaman, things about starting a priest, things about general WOW mechanics, rants about things unrelated to druids or healing at all, things about WOW holidays, or even more personal things I feel like rambling about). People didn't seem to mind all that much.

So many people have various alts that as long as you say what you are doing (ie. changing the focus), and explain to your readers that it won't be exclusively rogue content anymore, I expect most of your readers will still enjoy your new posts.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:29 am 

Server: Alonsus EU
You could make a separate RSS feed for your rogue-themed posts if you think you have readers who come exclusively for that. This way they would only get the stuff they're interested in and you wouldn't lose them.