Blog Azeroth

A forum for World of Warcraft Bloggers
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:44 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Guest posting on other blogs
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:03 am 

I'll assume you know what this means for now.

Has anyone ever done it before?
Would anyone be interested in doing it sometime?
What blogs would you prefer to make a guest post for the most?
Would it be a one time thing, or could you be interested in doing multiple posts?
Do you expect any payment, or linkback for the post? (Usually a link at the bottom is common place)
Do you wish to post the same content on your own blog as well? (Generally something google doesn't like)

Would you like to see a guest post request list, or offer list on the blog azeroth forums?

WWW Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:15 am 

It's certainly something I've considered, but given that I'm somewhat new to the blogging scene I've put it on the back burner for the time being.

If anyone has, I wouldn't mind hearing about the experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:41 am 

No, well some people have, but I haven't

Could do.

No idea, probably one with a bigger readership such that both sides benefit

Would it be a one time thing, or could you be interested in doing multiple posts?
Depends on the reaction.

Do you expect any payment, or linkback for the post? (Usually a link at the bottom is common place)
A linkback seems fair, "A guest post from The 2nd Nin from.... " to introduce the topic anyway so might as well add a link.

Do you wish to post the same content on your own blog as well? (Generally something google doesn't like)
Not terribly, I can write my own content for their (though it tends to be spur of the moment), if its a guest post it wouldn't make sense to go on mine, because I am not a guest there.

Some answers, dunno if good.

Post subject: Re: Guest posting on other blogs
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:20 pm 

Server: Eredar (US)
Bbr wrote:

No, but I do have a guest blogger on mine.

Bbr wrote:

For your blog or in general? But honestly, I'm indifferent. I may or may not want to do it.

Bbr wrote:

Blogs where I can provide extra insight in addition to the topic that the original blogger writes about.

Bbr wrote:

If the guest blogger is a current blogger, I wouldn't expect too much. but if the guest is not a blogger and a friend of yours, that's up to you and him/her to decide when/what to post.

Bbr wrote:

Linkback is enough. I don't think most bloggers are in it for the money.

Bbr wrote:
Do you wish to post the same content on your own blog as well?

Not necessarily. I've seen guest bloggers write on a topic they usually don't discuss on their own blogs, and frankly they're still great articles to read.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:54 pm 

Loronar wrote:
For your blog or in general? But honestly, I'm indifferent. I may or may not want to do it.

Either and/or. I'd love to have a hunter/rogue/druid guest post some time, but for now this forum post is just "in general", as i'm curious :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:20 pm 

What sort of posts are you looking for?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:36 pm 

2ndNin wrote:
What sort of posts are you looking for?

Specific guides, class guides, interesting news, how-to stuff, did you know that you could, farming for dummies, how to get the most out of something, i think you might find this interesting, wow comic or blog reviews.
Stuff like that.

Possibly other stuff would work too, but i'd have to review the submission before posting it either way. To ensure the readers don't get a wall of text upon loading. If I can see previous works that'd help a lot too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:41 pm 

Well rule me out then :P

Go look at my blog, wall of text is my style :P.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:51 pm 

Wall of text galore :P

Wouldn't subsections easily clear that up though?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:28 pm 

Good post, I haven't guest blogged before, but I wouldn't be opposed to it. However it would be nice to have a section of the forum where one could petition guest bloggers or respond to petitions.

I know when I go on vacation or whatever I'd still like to have active content and sometimes it's just easier to offer a guest blogger position for the day than to pre-write for a vacation as you never know if the stuff may be totally obsolete by the time it's auto posted.

Last edited by Dezdemone on Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:50 pm 

Server: Eredar (US)
2ndNin wrote:
Go look at my blog, wall of text is my style :P.

I actually like it Nin. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:41 am 

Dezdemone wrote:
I know when I go on vacation or whatever I'd still like to have active content and sometimes it's just easier to offer a guest blogger position for the day than to pre-write for a vacation as you never know if the stuff may be totally obsolete by the time it's auto posted..

Good point, i like that idea.
Keeps the blog active even when you're 2 weeks on vacation.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:01 am 

Yes, I've done it a few times earlier in the year to help increase visibility.

I'd love to! It'd be short, however, and not too terribly in depth (compared to the one on my blog)

Doesn't matter to me. I'm confident I can come up with something wacky enough for it to fit the theme of the blog.

Eh, I don't mind doing it more than once. It mostly depends on schedule. It's hard enough for me to maintain a post-a-day rate as it is.

Linkbacks would be cool, but it doesn't bother me too much. However, not getting a link back means no future guest posts ^^. Although if you think about it, I guess you could technically say I'm a paid guest poster for WoW Insider.

Nah, doesn't bother me.

Would you like to see a guest post request list, or offer list on the blog azeroth forums?

It's hard to find people willing to guest post. For most writers, its hard enough to come up with material for their own blog an audience let alone others and believe me I've tried. I've scored maybe 5 guest posts EVER.

WoW Priest and Officer Blogger

Find me on GMail: matttz@gmail.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:48 pm 

Server: Illidan (US)
Never done it before and never really asked anyone to do it either. Never really thought about it I guess. The closest was writing posts in response to what I have seen on other blogs. I can see why people would do it though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:39 pm 

:P If we count stupidly long comments I guest post on a lot of blogs :P, Larisa keeps telling me off for not simply writing posts on my own rather than posts in comments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:52 pm 

2ndNin wrote:
:P If we count stupidly long comments I guest post on a lot of blogs :P, Larisa keeps telling me off for not simply writing posts on my own rather than posts in comments.

Yeah you really should. Hell, keep that up and I'll have to start spotlighting your comments nevermind your blog :P.

WoW Priest and Officer Blogger

Find me on GMail: matttz@gmail.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:24 pm 

I wonder if Phae or one of the other admins could/would set up a forum, or even just a sticky post where guest post positions could be offered and accepted.

From what I've seen on this thread there are plenty of us willing to write a guest post, for nothing but a linkback.

However there is a need for a medium in which to advertise the willingness to have or be a guest poster as evidenced by what Matticus said:
Quote:
It's hard to find people willing to guest post. For most writers, its hard enough to come up with material for their own blog an audience let alone others and believe me I've tried. I've scored maybe 5 guest posts EVER

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:35 pm 

Server: Whisperwind
I think something like this definitely has a lot of value for people progressing their own blogs as well as well established bloggers. At the moment I'm not having any issue with material, but I can see how after 6months to a year or more you could really start feeling like you might be rehashing stuff. So it could be hard to blog for someone else for that week/day etc. Still for those willing it would be nice to have a connection point.

Starman at
Casual Raid Leader

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:56 am 

Oh, I'll stop telling you off 2ndNin... now that I realize I should consider you a guest writer on my blog. Actually I'm honored you bother writing so insightful and intelligent comments on my blogposts.

I just tried to help you get started with your own blog, but now you seem to be doing great on your own. You obviously can manage running your own blog at the same time as you're a guest writer on many other blogs. That's pretty impressive.

And I love walls of texts too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:30 am 

This is something that would intrest me both ways. I am not an amazing writer but I think both parties could benifit regardless of wether it's a two way post or not. So if you would like me to guest post or you would like to guest post in my blog, give me a bell;)

Razorbax

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:32 pm 

Forum is up and running :

http://www.blogazeroth.com/viewforum.php?f=26

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:21 pm 

As much as I would like to guest post on someone's blog, or have someone do it to mine, I would rather get more established and get the whole blogging thing down first.

It's hard enough for me to find the words to reply to posts, let alone blog :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:59 pm 

I am looking to guest post on someone's blog and also for a guest poster to post on mine. Feel free to check out my blog to assess the quality of my writing and message me if interested in either proposition!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:47 pm 

Server: Hydraxis
I wouldn't mind doing it. Or letting someone send a post to me to put on my blog. It'd be kind of fun. As for me, I could go on hunter rants all day and scream about how I hate math and how my pets rock, but heck, you could just ask BRK to be your guest then, lol. If he's unavailable, gimme a call.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:23 pm 

Server: sen'jin
I've guest posted once.

I wrote an article for Matticus.

Would I do it again? Yes in a heartbeat for Matticus, the problem is that I write about Death Knights and there is just not a lot to cover to fit a blog focused on healing. As it is, my article focused on how tanks can help make the healers job a little easier.

Writing a post for Matticus was a good experience for me. I truly believe his editing process forced me to be a better blogger and possibly even prepare better presentations for my RL Clients. (Thanks Matt!!)

Would I do it for other blogs? It would depend on the blog and if there would be a good topic tie in to what I generally am interested in.

Matticus provided a link to my blog, but I did repost the same article on mine with a link to the original source on Matticus's site. Frankly, since I was a month into the blog I needed the content.

Would I take a guest post from someone else? It would depend on the topic as well as the writers blog. Though I think it is more effective for unkown writers to write for the big names than unkowns writing for each other. If there is a blog post out there that I find that really interests me, I'll just link to it anyway.