Grimtorn: Me and my Ghoul
???: WoW Failblog
Jaramon: DeathCoil.org
Rhidach: Righteous Defense

If anyone wants to sign up, head over to this topic

What's up?

Copied from the original post:
Quote:
We're going to create a multi-blog Choose Your Own Adventure story, like those books many of us read growing up.

The concept is quite simple:

You are faced with a snarling Orc.

If you draw your bow and fire, go to (BlogA).
If you try to run to the nearest guardpost, go to (BlogB)

Of course, there will be more story and detail involved, but that's just a rough example. As the story grows, it will continue to branch out, involving more blogs.

How's it work? *Updated 3/11*

I'm open to suggestions on this, please share your thoughts

We have decided to post on a schedule so everyone is on the same page. This will make things much simpler. Thanks Byaghro for the idea. Days to be decided.

*Updated Process*

Step 0: I decide ahead of time that I will be linking to Byaghro and Syrana (examples) on Monday (example). I send them emails informing them that they will be "tagged" for posts for Thursday (example).

Step 1: I make a wonderful, beautiful, world-changing, cry-your-eyes-out, amazing story. I end it with a choice, linking to Byaghro and Syrana.

Step 2: I email Byaghro and Syrana, letting them know to create the next part of the story.

Step 2.5: Byaghro and Syrana choose their "tags" and inform those authors via email.

Step 3: Byaghro and Syrana create their own masterpieces, in their own style, taking the story in any direction they choose. Once again, they will end with a choice and link 2-3 other blogs.

Step 4: Byaghro and Syrana reply to my original email, letting me know they've created their follow-ups to my post. I edit my original links to lead directly to those posts.

Step 5: Byaghro's and Syrana's links create their posts, link others (perhaps back to me, perhaps Syrana's link will link to Byaghro, until we grow larger, there will be a bunch of cross-linking), email their links, and reply to Byaghro or Syrana's email. Byaghro and Syrana then edit THEIR links.

And it continues spreading and spreading and spreading. Round and round, back and forth. Please do not link anyone who has not signed up. I would like to avoid the story trailing off into nowhere because someone was tagged who has no interest in this project.

Communication will be crucial.

I will set an ending date for each "saga." One week until the end, start wrapping up the stories. Anyone who has been linked for a segment at the end will end the story any way they see fit. This is a group project, there will be no "master" story. That's half the fun, we all get to work together and be creative, working off each other's ideas.

Dead Ends

Every CYOA story has Dead Ends. When the reader makes an incorrect choice, their story ends in failure. Of course, when faced with choices, one won't ALWAYS lead to failure. However, when the opportunity presents itself, feel free to Dead End the story. Link back to the original post so the reader can start over again.

What to do if you're "tagged" by more than one author for the same post date? Well, that's a perfect opportunity for a dead end!

--

Once again, please share your thoughts and ideas. While this may be MY idea, it's OUR project. I would love to see this succeed. Or, we could fail SPECTACULARLY, that would be entertaining as well.

Last edited by Samodean on Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

WWW Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: CYOA: Create Your Own Azeroth
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:00 am 

Server: Hellscream
In reading over the idea my immediate concern was "how do we handle a potential issue where a segment of a story is negated or held up due to one or two choices being posted in an odd order?"

Well, or something like that.

The easier to understand concept is this:

Why not have Samodean start the story on a specific day (for this example I'm using Monday). The choices (I'll use myself and Syrana to follow the example) post on a specific day, for this example Thursday. The next continuation's authors post on Monday, etc.

So Monday original, Thursday choices, Monday choices, Thursday choices, rinse, lather, repeat.

This provides a few benefits:

1) As the story progresses everyone knows a rough timeframe to expect the ability to choose their next step.

2) Potential issues with someone having to "catch up" to continue the story for various reasons.

3) Easier maintenance for us, especially if suddenly you get the next installment and don't have time that day to get your continuation ready.

4) Extends the story a little, creating a "cliffhanger" type feeling and anticipation.

Note that the views expressed in my posts are my personal views and not necessarily those of Blog Azeroth unless otherwise specified.

WWW Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:03 am 

Server: Eitrigg
I definitely like the idea of having a sort of posting schedule for a project like this. It'll be nice to have a few days to stew over the previous posts and let the creative juices flow.

I'm excited! I think this will be very fun. Even if the first story doesn't go as smoothly as we'd like, I think it will give us a chance to tweak and develop this further.

And I think I can do cliffhanger fairly well.. I think. ;) Some of the fun will be creating the options which will in turn be a fun way to challenge each other creatively.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:43 am 

Server: Azjol-Nerub
Okay, now we're on to something. Updated the original post.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:52 am 

Server: Crushridge
So.. It will Look like this:

Blog 1__--> blog 2___--> blog 4__--> blog 8
______|__________|__________\--> blog 9
______|__________|
______|__________\--> blog 5__--> blog 10
______|_____________________\--> blog 11
______|
______\--> blog 3___--> blog 6__--> blog 12
_________________|__________\--> blog 13
_________________|
_________________\--> blog 7__--> blog 14
____________________________\--> blog 15

Probably wouldn't want to go more than 4 parts or it will get out of hand.
Might also be a good idea to actually map out authors in advance, that way everyone knows well in advance where they will fit. Obviously, they won't know what to write until the author before them sends them the article, but they will know where they fit in the story.

The other option is to actually write/forward prior to publishing. author 1 writes the story, passes it on to his 2 options, etc... This allows everyone to draft their post, complete with correct final links, and we just schedual all our posts for the correct date.

This ensures that when the story starts, that all posts are already written and schedualed, so there will be no waiting on authors. It also allows us to identify any issues with plots/dead ends/authors before we start publishing the story.

~Ithiel.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:36 pm 

Good idea - to map out the path of the authors ahead of time. And then we can switch up the pathing with each new CYOA story, or keep the pathing the same, depending on what people want to do with that.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:33 pm 

Server: Uldum
I like the idea of plotting things out a bit ahead of time.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:06 am 

Honestly, I don't really want to plan out much ahead of time, for several reasons.

1: I think the random aspect of the story will just be more fun.
2: Pre-planning everything will be a massive amount of work on the front end.
3: What if other authors want to sign up mid-story? I would hate for someone to be excited to join up, only to have to wait weeks or even months for the current story to wrap up.

Yes, I said months. I'm currently thinking maybe 8 weeks per saga. 4 "tiers" just isn't enough. First of all, we will be back-linking to authors who have already previously worked on a chapter. Secondly, you have to consider dead-ends. They will kill off many of the limbs before the end of the story. You must prune the tree for it to grow tall. It will also keep things simpler.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:26 am 

I certainly understand wanting to keep it fresh and exciting. :)

So, if we could set up a posting timeframe, I think that will be a huge help. And, once you know you've been tagged to carry out the story of one choice, you decide who the other bloggers will be that you will tag. Decide that and let them know before you pull your piece together, so they are prepared as much as possible for when you are ready to publish it up...?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:11 am 

Yep, setting up a timeframe was a huge breakthrough for the planning process. I had most everything planned out, but knew I needed SOMETHING more. Thankfully, Byaghro and I had a quick brainstorming session in BA chat and NOW, my friends, we are on a roll.

Notifying the next writers ahead of time is a nice development. For example, if I'm due to publish a post on Monday (days still TBD!), I decide you and Stoney will be my tags. Before I even start writing, I shoot a quick email out saying "Hey guys, just FYI, you're up Thursday."

A little extra warning could be helpful. Sure, you don't know WHAT you're going to write about, but you can tell yourself "Tuesday I need to set aside some time to write a CYOA post." I like that. It will also give you the option of replying with "I've already been tagged TWICE for Thursday, can you choose someone else?"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:15 am 

Yup! Gives you a heads up and also allows for a respectful decline for that week, if necessary. *nodnod*

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:39 pm 

Server: the Venture Co.
I can give you guys a page or two (static) that would have persistence

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:50 pm 

Server: Jubei'Thos
Sounds good so far. ^^

Only question is though, how much cross-linking will there be? I can foresee it getting confusing.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:14 pm 

Toraneko wrote:
Sounds good so far. ^^

Only question is though, how much cross-linking will there be? I can foresee it getting confusing.

When they select their choice at the end of the piece. It shouldn't get confusing unless a reader decides they want to try and backtrack to go a different path in the story. But at that point, they optimally would go back to the original post and follow a new story path it they wanted.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:35 am 

Server: Crushridge
lol. even if it isn't planned out in advance, we'll need to keep a publically avaliable story-tree/flowchart somewhere that can be updated every time a new 'limb' is added, so people can easily find their way around.

~Ithiel.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:09 pm 

WoWFailBlog wrote:
lol. even if it isn't planned out in advance, we'll need to keep a publically avaliable story-tree/flowchart somewhere that can be updated every time a new 'limb' is added, so people can easily find their way around.

Why? Why would readers need to have access to a flowchart of the linked blogs?

Option A: Click here takes you to blog 4
Option B: Click here takes you to blog 5

They won't have to hunt for the next blog. They'd click on their choice at the end of the piece to be sent to the next blog for the next piece. Where the communication will be key is between bloggers in order for pieces to be written and links to be inserted.

Now if you are talking about having a flowchart for the bloggers to reference to help determine who they'll link to next... then I think it'd be reasonable to have a thread for each CYOA where each subsequent branching off has a post of who's being 'tagged'. That way we can spread the love better instead of tagging 1 blogger to write 2 pieces before everyone has had a chance to write one.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:35 pm 

Server: Spirestone
(Wow, this is extremely late xD...)

I like the idea of a time frame for posts, it would help me extremely as to know when to even begin thinking about what I would like to do next with the story line.

Planning out who to link to next also seems like a good idea, we would need someone to work on this of course but im sure we can pull something together. We all signed up knowing what we were getting into =P, then again not knowing at the same time xD.

I'm sure once this gets started it will be less and less confusing, if i could help in anyway just contact me :3

Circumspect Snug(:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:41 am 

Well, we can plan and plan and plan some more. Or we could jump in headfirst and sink or swim.

I'm going to start on a lead-in post and we'll give this a small test, maybe 6-8 "chapters."

I'm a big fan of Learn By Doing. Sure, we'll make some mistakes, but we'll learn from them, move on and get better.

Also, I've updated the original post with the latest info.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:10 pm 

Would it be easier to create a single topic here where, with each story segment, the authors list who they have chosen to tag instead of worrying about the additional overhead of email traffic/flowchart maintenance?

Example:

Samo starts the story, creates a thread here along the lines of "CYOA Story One: Insert Title"

The thread is updated with each segment posted, the participants for that storyline, and who is tagging who as the story progresses. This would make the thread look sort of like this:

Quote:
CYOA Story One: Azerothians Gone Wild

Participants:
Blogger 1 - URL
Blogger 2 - URL
Blogger 3 - URL
Blogger 4 - URL
Blogger 5 - URL
Blogger 6 - URL
Blogger 7 - URL
Blogger 8 - URL
Blogger 9 - URL
Blogger 10 - URL

Story Beginning:
Blogger - URL

Updates:
Segment 1 - Tagged Blogger 1, Blogger 6, Blogger 9

Segment 2a - Tagged Blogger 2, Blogger 3
Segment 2b - Tagged Blogger 7, Blogger 10
Segment 2c - Ended story somehow

and so on...

This should provide all the information we need to keep everyone involved, to add people if they want to jump in in the middle of a story, and to get a quick overview of how far we've progressed.

This would mean some work on someone's part of keeping the thread updated quickly, but all participants could post in the thread in the same format to make it easy, sort of like:

Blogger (URL)
Segment Xa - Tagged Blogger(s)

Granted, an email might still be best for trying to get the word to the bloggers immediately, but this was another thought on how to use our existing tools easily.

Note that the views expressed in my posts are my personal views and not necessarily those of Blog Azeroth unless otherwise specified.

WWW Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:22 am 

You know, I was actually considering something like this.

I think I'll look around for some little free board to use. 2 Reasons:

1: I don't want to hijack BA!
2: I think an old-school threaded BB would work better for this.

Chapter 1
--Chapter 2a
----Chapter 3a
------Chapter 4a
------Chapter 4b
----Chapter 3b
------Chapter 4c (Dead End)
------Chapter 4d
----Chapter 3c (Dead End)
--Chapter 2b
----Chapter 3d
------Chapter 4e
------Chapter 4f
----Chapter 3e
------Chapter 4g
------Chapter 4h (Dead End)

If anyone has any ideas, I'm listening.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:57 am 

Good, you two put up visual examples of what I was attempting to say. And I agree on getting started and working through the kinks... although have we come to a consensus on post days yet?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:06 am 

Currently I have 3 ideas.

1: Monday and Thursday. However, this is kind of tough for the Monday people. Not everybody writes posts over the weekend.

2: Tuesday and Friday. Better for writing, but Fridays usually see a dip in blog traffic, at least from my POV.

3: Wednesday. Just cut it down to one day a week to make it simpler. I'm leaning towards this. Story will move slower, but will give more of a weekly episodic feel to the story.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:08 am 

I'd be happy with Wednesday. *nodnod* As it is now, (other than this week) I post a new part of my ongoing RP story every Tuesday. So that would work nicely for me, I think... to have the weekend to work on both. :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:10 am 

I'm good with any of them personally, but for the first run one day might work best for everyone to get a feel for how it will play out.

WWW Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:35 am 

Yeah, I think we're going to roll with just Wednesdays for now.

Still struggling with this message board thing. The old-school threaded style is basically non-existent on any of the free hosted boards I looked at. May have to just do the best I can with a ProBoard or something. I definitely want to get off BA, though, so we have our own space to work in.