Blog Azeroth

A forum for World of Warcraft Bloggers
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:19 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Using a free template
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:22 pm 

Server: Thorium Brotherhood
I'm not really very good with coding and the like, so be gentle.

I have a WP blog that I quite like. I have the free, user-friendly, ready-to-go one that didn't require me to download anything or pay for anything or set up any sort of hosting or any sort of thing like that.

I want to start a second WP blog and I don't like any of the templates they have. I have found and downloaded a free template I do really like, and I would like to know the best way to go about installing and using that template. I suspect the answer involves self-hosting, but I'd like to be sure.

I've seen a few guides that talk about using some sort of FTP to upload a file to my wp-template directory, but I'm not sure exactly what all the terminology means, nor where to find that directory.

Any help would be deeply appreciated.

http://oriniwen.wordpress.com

WWW Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Using a free template
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:28 pm 

Server: Antonidas (US)
If you want to use your own templates, you have to go self-hosted. If you are unsure of how to FTP, or don't understand the directory structures, I would advise against going self-hosted. Start out simple, and if you really want to later, read up on it and educate yourself before you make the leap.

Post subject: Re: Using a free template
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:42 pm 

Server: Kilrogg (EU)
Having glanced over what WordPress.com offer as premium features, the best you can do down that route is having a custom CSS, which isn't going to cut it I don't think.

Personally I am self-hosted, it's not as hugely complex as it sounds, though there can be a lot of intricacies to trip the unsuspecting person up.

I've been a customer with my current hosting provider for a long time now, and the benefits of that mean that I currently have more space and bandwidth than I know what to do with (by a long, long way) - so if you are happy to pay out $10 a year to register your own domain name, I could possibly host it for you, though I understand if you don't want to put your hosting in the hands of a complete stranger!

My provider also offers one-click installing and configuration of WordPress, and I'm sure there must be a guide on how to install themes for the complete novice, failing that I'll offer my help in that respect too.

In brief what you would be required to do whatever option you take (buying your own hosting, etc.) you will be required to get some FTP software, I advise Filezilla as it is free and fairly intuitive. You will then need to connect to your server using the information provided, and browse to your WordPress installation location, and look in "wp-content/themes" - then simply upload the directory from your computer to the server by dragging it onto the folder on the server.

Hopefully I didn't lose you there... If I can explain anything in more detail I will try...